Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

hd 4600 display adapter freezes and BSOD Wndows 10 Pro, have to safe mode and roll back to generic MS display driver

JMitc8
Beginner

Working fine for years now, all of a sudden about two weeks ago, pc wouldn't shut down all the way and had to do a hard shut down, and then it would freeze up (other than in safe mode) 30 or so seconds after windows start up whether or not I signed in from the sign in screen and would have to hard shut it down.

Can't use any different display adapter (NVIDIA or Intel, older or newest driver versions) due to it freezes and/or bsod upon installation of drivers and I have to hard shut down and restart until I can get into Safe Mode. I've clean reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (have to make sure wireless card is out and Ethernet unplugged so it doesn't auto update to Intel driver while clean install or Windows clean install will freeze during install), changed hd's, ram, PSU, taken out pair of GTX 970 cards, put in different GPU's, and now just running on integrated board graphics, and disconnected all extra drives and non MB usb's, manual install of drivers after DDU actions so I'm running the rig on bare minimum that I can. The only thing I haven't done is change the cpu or mb. All of this and more multiple times and anything I do still comes out the same results in the same ways. Can't run multiple monitors or other dedicated GPU cards.

Getting another mb (used but was working in another rig) tomorrow, but thought I would hopefully get some input before I do that. Don't have another cpu with the same socket to try (Did do diagnostic and stress tests with IPDT and others and everything green and no problems shown with processor).

Any suggestions or input greatly appreciated.

Specs of rig.

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 Wifi-BK (last BIOS available F8 about two yrs ago)

Intel I7 4790K processor socket 1150

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, version 1709, build 16299.248

8-32g RAM (have switched these out to ck in another machine and all ok and put in different ram, but no effect)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jbcaddy,

I understand that you are getting BSOD and freezing problems with the display adapter. In this case I would like to know, are you getting the same issues if you use the ones from Nvidia? Also, can you please provide us with the error code showing in the BSOD?

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JMitc8
Beginner

David V

Origanally I couldn't install Nvidia or Intel hd4600 display adapter drivers, could only use the generic MS disply driver. I was down to using just the mb gpu and with that the Nvidia of course wouldn't install without any Nvidia gpu card installed (no recogized device), and with the Nvidia card in, the Nvidia install wouldn't complete successfully (maybe due to "sytem state"). Predomantly I would have just the freeze, but when the bsod happened the error was "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR", but usually it was just freezing with having to hard shut down or reset before going into safe mode in which it wouldn't freeze or bsod where I could reinstall Win 10, do a restore, or roll back display driver (went through all different processes with no luck)

Yesterday I switched the mb to a Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 with same cpu, and the install of the Intel 4600 display adapter would still freeze everything up with the same problems the same way.

But I was able to install the Nvidia GTX970 drivers only by certain procedures:

- clean install of Win 10 Pro (always from usb drive) on clean drive (through diskpart), with having to make sure the install of Win 10 couldn't connect to the network (wireless card and ethernet line out and no Nvidia gpu installed, just mb gpu). Also just with minumum hardware hooked up (one sata hd drive and no external usb ports or extra drives, etc). If I let the network be hooked in on the Win10 install it would freeze on the install when it auto updated before the install would complete.

- once Win10 installed, by NOT plugging in any network or allowing any updating from new Win 10 install, I still ran the DDU for both any Nvidia or Intel drivers (in safe mode), set DDU app for shut down of computer (not restart), installed one GTX970 card and before any Windows updates and leaving ethernet disconnected, installed Nvidia drivers from usb drive manually. I did have have to do one hard reset with the installation due to it did freeze upon gpu driver install, but Nvidia driver did install successfully, and it seemed to be running ok after the one hard reset, no conflicts with the display adapter driver and it didn't freeze or BSOD again.

-then connected to network and did all the Win 10 updates with no issues.

-today I installed another GTX970 (had to install Nvidia drivers again to regonize the additional gpu, but no problems arose), any extra sata drives, blueray disk drive, externall usb ports, 4 monitors, and any misc, and it's running ok so far.

To make sure that this process wouldn't work on my Gigabyte Z97 mb (I thought I had already done this with the Gigabyte board, but just to make sure), I switched out the mb again back to the GIgabyte board, and the same process wouldn't work, because once I installed a GTX970 the freezing and conflicts wouldn't let me even get to installing the Nvidia drivers. Switched back to the Asrock Z97 and process would work. That would point to the Gigabyte board having an issue, but doesn't explain the problems with using the Intel hd4600 driver with just the mb gpu, which still won't work and causes freeze/bsod issues even on the different mb.

I have again run tests on the cpu with the running Nvidia drivers and cards, Asrock mb, with everthing connected, and no problems shown, all green.

So that's where I'm at, running ok on the different mb with Nvidia drivers (Intel display driver still won't work). As I have stated before, I tested the psu, hd's, gpu's in another board (but different intel cpu 1151 socket, ddr 4 ram and Win 10 home (not pro)), and checked different ddr 3 ram along with voltage tests and a different psu on the 1150 Intel socket mb's, and none of that showed any problems with those hardwares.

We'll see in the next days or weeks if any more of the same or different issues come up. I will be getting a different cpu to put in the Gigabyte mb and tinker with that at a later time to fully check out before I scrap it, and put a different cpu in the Asrock mb and see if the Intel 4600 drivers still cause issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jbcaddy,

Thank you for your response,

I understand that you will be trying with a different CPU, being that the case please let us know the outcome so we can see if it is a hardware error. Reaching this point the best is to try a different one and use the integrated graphics. If the other CPU works that means that the other one may be defective. However, we need to first try and test.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jbcaddy,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos