Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

how to disable dithering? 6bit display?

rx7jordan
Beginner
So I want to know how do I disable dithering? It causes concussion symptoms for me. If I use a 6bit display will the dithering be disabled ? I have a arc a770 LE and I also have a iris xe laptop. Want to know for both thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello rx7jordan,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. For the Iris Xe Laptop, I can confirm that normally we do not have an option to disable dithering for integrated graphics of the CPU. However, since this is a laptop, We highly recommend contacting your laptop manufacturer for additional tools they may have to control dithering. You may also check this article for a documented reference of this information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000037473/graphics.html

As for the Intel Arc A770, since this is a discrete graphics card we will double check on our end if this option is available. I will make sure to update you once I have the information on or before February 14, 2024.

0 Kudos
rx7jordan
Beginner
Thanks for looking into this for me.

Regarding the iris xe do you know if this link applies to that and the UHD Graphics 770? They were mentioning that DP to a 6bit monitor doesn't enable dithering. Only 8bpc and higher.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-HD3000-HD4000-Is-there-a-way-to-enable-dithering-for/td-p/537616

I am trying to figure out a PC setup that will not dither as I get extremely ill from dithering. It messes with my brain bad.

I do own these products already but haven't tested them yet until I know for sure since I am super sensitive to dither/FRC. Thank you
0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello rx7jordan,

I would like to inform you that we are still investigating this case. We will update you as soon as we have any new information on this case and we will share it on this thread.

Best regards,

Norman S.
Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello rx7jordan,

We are working on resolving your issue and we appreciate your cooperation. To help us with our investigation, we need you to share some additional details with us. Please provide us with the following:

1. Which specific display(s) are you using? Please mention the manufacturers, models, etc.
  2.  What is the manufacturer and model of your Iris Xe laptop?
  3. Could you please explain the exact method you are using to set the panel to 6-bit?
  4. Are you trying to disable dithering on only the laptop's display or on multiple displays?
  5. We noticed you made a different post on the Community thread (https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-HD3000-HD4000-Is-there-a-way-to-enable-dithering-for/m-p/1566639#M127703) that was related to enabling dithering. Just to confirm, are you trying to disable dithering now?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
rx7jordan
Beginner

Hey so I mostly was wondering about the arc a770 LE. I want to know how can I use the a770 le without dithering? If I use a true 6bit, true 8 bit or even true 10 bit monitor will the Intel arc a770 dither? Or will it only dither with 6+2 or 8+2frc monitors? If I did have a frc monitor lets say 6+2frc, can I force 6 bit only?

I am desperate to disable dithering it's making me extremely ill, me and many other people are affected by it.
Is there any benefit using one port over the other? HDMI vs display port? I am willing to accommodate with anything to eliminate dithering/FRC.

So questions:
-Displayport vs HDMI for having no dither/FRC? Does one connector have more color setting control than other?
- can I force 6 bit, 8bit and/or 10 bit color WITHOUT FRC/dither?
- If I have a 6+2frc monitor will arc allow me to not use the +2frc?

I ended up returning the iris Xe laptop since I was almost outside return window.

I do also have a intel UHD 770 IGPU that I also am wondering those exact questions above too.

I'm trying to find what Intel graphics product will allow me no dither/FRC. I currently own UHD 770 and arc a770 le.

My monitors I have are:
- dell up2720q (true 10bit)
- Asus pg278qr (6+2frc)
-2023 hp omen 27q (true 8 bit)
- 8+2frc monitor (forgot brand)

I have HDMI 2.1 cable and display port 2.1 dp40 cable too.

Please help me I'm willing to change any hardware to go without dithering/FRC. If a true 6 bit monitor has zero dithering I'll go buy one if so.

Edit: I am trying to disable dithering. The reason I posted in that older thread because someone said 6bit monitor will have dithering disabled on the older HD series igpu. I'm curious about the UHD 770 and arc a770 now.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello rx7jordan,

Thank you for your response and the information you shared. I would like to inform you that we are still investigating this case. We will update you as soon as we have any new information on this case and we will share it on this thread.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello rx7jordan, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. We spoke with our engineering team and we want to let you know that we currently don't have an option to turn off dithering for external displays. The reason for this is that if we did provide this option, it would result in showing banding which occurs when there is a limited color gradient available to display smooth transitions between different shades or colors. Instead of a smooth gradient, the colors are displayed as distinct bands or sections with noticeable lines separating them

I understand that this is not the news you want to hear, however, if we were to consider offering the ability to disable dithering in the future, it would result in causing a different issue to occur with banding which can greatly affect the quality of display that the Intel Arc aims to provide.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
rx7jordan
Beginner
Why can't you guys leave it as a option that we can select ? There's A LOT of people who prefer no dithering for better eye health and stable text. So your saying if I run a TRUE 8 bit or TRUE 10 bit monitor it will dither still?
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello rx7jordan,

Our engineers confirmed that on true 8-bit and true 10-bit displays, dithering is not enabled by default.

As long as the source bpp is the same as the destination, no dithering is needed

For a normal case of SDR desktop (8bpc), dithering is enabled only when we know that the panel is of <8bpc. (i.e. 6bpc)

We have taken note of your feedback and we want to let you know that we have notified the product development team the request to add an option in Arc Control to enable user control of dithering status. However we can't promise any outcome or Estimated Time of Arrival at the moment. 

For now we will proceed in closing this case. Should you have further concerns, kindly please create a new thread as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos