Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

iRIS Xe Graphics / no HDMI

agh63
Beginner

I have a Lenovo V15 G3 IAP labtop with Intel iRIS Xe Graphics running openSuse 15.4. The graphics driver installed is i915.

When I plug in a monitor or beamer into the HDMI port, nothing happens.

I also cannot change the resoltion of the labtop monitor other than 1920x1080.

Is the i915 the correct driver? Is there any other driver I could use to enable HDMI port?

When I run xrandr, the HDMI port is not even listed:

xrandr

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 77.00*

Many thanks for your help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello agh63,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your Lenovo V15 G3 IAP.

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did the issue start?
  • Have you tried using a different HDMI adapter?
  • Are you using any video adapter?
  • Also, Linux drivers are part of the upstream Linux* kernel. They're available through the regular channels, distributions, or the Linux* kernel archives. Your Linux distro is responsible to include all the necessary drivers, and the i915 driver seems to be a driver developed by your Operating System.
  • Could you try using a Windows-based Operating System or a more common Linux distribution such as Ubuntu? 

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
agh63
Beginner

Dear Jean O,

thank you for answering my post. You are right: the problems relates to openSuse: I tried a live version of Kubuntu 22 on the same machine, and here everything worked fine.

The strange thing is that in both systems, the i915 driver was listedas graphics driver - but there was a strange diference:

on openSuse 15.4 the message was:

sudo lspci -k |grep -EA3 ‘VGA|3D|Display’
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 0c)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3b3a
Kernel modules: i915

But on Kubuntu it was:

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lspci -k |grep -EA3 ‘VGA|3D|Display’
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 46a8 (rev 0c)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3b3a
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

The line "Kernel driver in use: i915" was missing in openSuse. Could this be the problem?

agh63

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello agh63,

I appreciate the information you have shared.

As the problem does not occur when using Kubuntu OS, the issue seems to be related to the openSUSE Operating System. You should contact your Linux distribution for further support since they may have more suitable answers to your questions and may have a solution for the problem.

Since the issue is not present using a different Operating System, I will close this thread.

If you need additional information, submit a new question since this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos