Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

macOS - INTEL POWER GADGET (Request)

SStef8
Beginner

*This is intended for the Developer Team of Intel Power Gadget only!, not community members*

Dear Developers,

For your intel power gadget software for macOS, would you be willing to add a "CPU Throttle %" graph so we can see the current "% of Thermal Throttling" happening? 

A prime example of this is from a windows software called AIDA64, using the System stability Test from this software it shows this amazing information. This would be a great tool and information to have on a Mac! 🙏🏽

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Apple has requested that all question regarding their platform be directed to apple support.

Doc

0 Kudos
SStef8
Beginner

Apple has no juristiction here, this is software made my Intel, not Apple. I am simply requesting a vital feature to the Intel Power Gadget.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Apple has requested that all questions regarding their platform be directed to apple support"

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You may want to add your comments here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget

Doc

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

I'm the developer of Power Gadget for Mac. This metric is not possible, as it's not possible to distinguish the specific impact of thermal throttling versus other throttling reasons, of which there are many.

0 Kudos
BVanB1
Beginner

Any idea if you could make intel power gadget for mac with additional monitoring tools for the top menu bar? So we can have real time visual feedback from

our menu bar. I personally really like IPW so having more handy monitoring without having the app open on desktop would be really cool. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

That's not currently in our plans.

0 Kudos
Avastaxda
Beginner

@Patrick_K_Intel 

I see that you are the developer of the Power Gadget for Mac. I see that page at software.intel.com seems to not have any downloads for mac anymore. When you click on any of the downloads it directs you to the bottom of the page, and the links on the bottom of the page lead to a link not found page.

I noticed this some months ago but thought it was just a glitch and would be fixed shortly. I see that it still hasnt been fixed and decided to see if I could track down the developer and see what happened.

It is required by a program I use on my mac, istat menus.

Again I am sorry that I am contacting you through some random forum post, but I couldnt find any other way to reach you.

Thank you

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-power-gadget.html

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

@Avastaxda Apologies for this issue, we've been having some delays with getting this resolved.

For now you can download the latest macOS version (3.7.0) from here: 

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/powergadget/updates/IntelPowerGadgetMac/b7b1b3e1dffd9b20/Intel%20Power%20Gadget.dmg

0 Kudos
Avastaxda
Beginner

@Patrick_K_Intel Thank you for you quick response. I am glad to hear that it is just a glitch and not that Intel removed the software.

I appreciate the link to the 3.7.0 version, but do you by chance have a link for the 3.6.2 version (or any 3.6.x version)?

I have this weird issue, that has been confirmed on forums.virtualbox.org, where if version 3.7.0 is installed on my Macbook pro, I cant boot any Windows virtual machine in virtualbox, not even an installer ISO (random and non-replicable BSOD [Blue Screen Of Death]). I found an old backup drive that had an old Intel Power Gadget dmg, and installed it (3.0.3) and voilà, all VMs suddenly work. I went and reinstalled version 3.7.0, and back to random BSODs. My wife's Macbook Pro has version 3.6.2 on it and there are no issues with virtual box (I just dont have the installer file on that mac anymore 😥)

Again, sorry that this is a totally not related forum post. 

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

Here is v3.6.2:

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/powergadget/updates/IntelPowerGadgetMac/324dc71a6ee73103e/Intel%20Power%20Gadget.dmg

I'm aware of the issue you're describing, but that's actually an issue with a VirtualBox driver, so there's nothing I can do to resolve that.

Avastaxda
Beginner

Thank you! That is amazing.

Glad to know that it is a known issue. Did Virtualbox give you an answer on when/if they will fix the issue with their driver?

0 Kudos