Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

modern Intel graphics drivers are abysmally broken

Dbentzjr
Beginner

I am attempting to play games on a Microsoft Surface Go with Intel HD 615 graphics.  No matter what drivers or settings I use, there is no fix to make it just work across all games.  Also, there is now a 2 part installer because the graphics driver no longer includes the graphics settings - what clowns designed this?  There USED to be a perfectly functioning driver, but I have no idea where to find it anymore, everything switched over to this separate install DMA crap that makes it so difficult to do something that should be so simple...  There are no longer any settings anywhere to be found for in game anti alaising, and display scaling has been fully broken, the global setting tab does absolutely nothing at all, and I have to install different drivers for different things to work.  To elaborate, to play Final Fantasy 12 I have to use generic drivers from Microsoft Windows updater for the game to display properly and without glitches - as shown in the photo with newer driver, but in using that old driver, the display scaling is broken in other programs such as Retroarch.  To use Retroarch, it will not work properly in the old driver and must be loaded with the most recent intel gpu from intel update assistant.  What a major pain in the ass these so called "modern" intel gpu drivers and setting software installs are!!!  Cant these developers make one simple installer that throws everything we need in the same installation pack?  Why is it so difficult to make a good simple gpu driver like Nvidias?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Dbentzjr,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:

• Specific drivers versions you tested.
  • Screenshot to see the setting you are using in the games.

I  will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with some reports to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Dbentzjr,

Thank you very much for your reply via email. We received all your feedback and want to provide you with some information.

First, you mentioned that your Surface is running well with the OEM drivers, we want to mention that there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers that we cannot ensure will work with all the systems. It is expected that the OEM driver runs well with your system.

About the scaling options, please check this public article that you may find useful https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057700/graphics.html

Regarding other changes on the display refresh rate and limitations, keep in mind that you are using a highly customized third-party system, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings and we don't have control over any customization the manufacturer performed.

We also suggest you contact Microsoft* since is the system manufacturer of your laptop and provide them feedback and consult about limitations or newer drivers that help you with your needs.

Please let us know if you need further assistance with us.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Dbentzjr,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos