Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1721 Discussions

ARC A770 Raytracing / XeSS issue - 3DMark Port Royal / XeSS Feature test

ReinForceEins
Novice

Hello,

I am facing an issue with my Arc A770.

The Raytracing benchmark Port Royal will quit / crash before a result is generated.

The Loading bar will fill up completely
then I can hear a bit of coil whine from the GPU - indicating that it tries to do something
And then the benchmark just closes with no result and without having drawn a single frame of the running benchmark onto the screen.

See Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVoY5v-Eoo

I did add the registry commands and restarted the System but no crash dump of the benchmark closing / failing is generated.

Also the XeSS Feature test fails in the same way - but states that the API is not supported on the result screen

Tested with latest driver 4669 and previous versions where there are results
For example there is a valid result for a  Ryzen 5900X + A770 running Driver version 31.0.101.4146 but even using this specific driver version did not work

Drivers were removed with DDU and resinstalled multiple times

I even tried it on a fresh install of Windows 10 to avoid any cross contamination
With the same result.

Tested in the following System (see SSU report):

AMD Ryzen 2200G
ASRock B450M Pro4
16GB of DDR4 3000

ReBAR enabled.

PS. Replacing the A770 with a 3060 will result in a working Port Royal benchmark on the same system.

I also did try it in a different PC with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5950X
Asus ROG x570 E Gaming
64 GB of DDR 4 3600
ReBAR enabled

1 Solution
ReinForceEins
Novice

So I have a solution.

Turns out the GPU was faulty.
I brought it back to the shop, making sure to consult this forum first to see if others had similar issues.

There they were able to reproduce the issue and replaced the GPU.

Raytracing on the new GPU now works fine - even on a Ryzen 2200G.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ReinForceEins,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities. We would be more than pleased to help you with the crashing issues when using the Raytracing benchmark in Port Royal.

To better assist you, we want to look into this matter internally, so allow us some time to research this matter, and we will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

I can say that 3DMark's Port Royal works fine and runs flawless, with my ARC A770.

I'm running:

Ryzen 7 7700X

GSkill Flare DDR5-6000 32GB

ASRock PG Ripetide Wifi B650E

Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition 16GB w/ Driver v4669

Here are the results of the test I just ran on mine.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/99387721?

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@ReinForceEins 

I noticed we're both using Ryzen CPU's...

So I'm wondering if you're using any specific custom settings on your 3DMark, that I could try to replicate?

I also noticed you tested with 2 different Ryzens... the 5950X has dozens of scores listed, so it should work fine for you...

But the 2200G has none listed at all, so I'm wondering whether its actually supported?

0 Kudos
LynxRufus
New Contributor I

Do you have the integrated gpu still enabled or is it already disabled? You could try making sure its disabled both in bios/Windows and uninstall any amd & nvidia gfx driver left-overs via DDU in save mode, then re-try running 3dmark with the arc and Latest drivers.

Also as a side note, you're running a bios Version that's officially not recommended for that type of old apu .

ps:  you also didn't mention your 3dmark Version. There were bugs similar to the ones you re describing in old outdated versions.

0 Kudos
AjrAlves
New Contributor II
You know that zen 1 and zen 1+ CPUs and APUs are NOT supported officially by Intel Arc, right?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

It's probably unrelated with your issue, but the way rebar works in this older CPUs is very infective with Arc GPUs.
Also, 2200G will heavily bottleneck the A750 and A770 in most games, even the A380 sometimes.
0 Kudos
AjrAlves
New Contributor II

Update:
Tested here and also runs Ok

A750 
5600X
B550
650W PSU

0 Kudos
ReinForceEins
Novice

So for those who are concearned about the 2200G
I swapped in a 5600G from another system of mine

with the same result.

I DDUed all drivers again and unplugged Network.
Upon reboot and trying to install the drivers - the PC just rebootet during installation. (crash?)
After that I tried to install the drivers again - this time they installed.

Running Port Royal again yieled a tiny change.

This time I actually got to see about 1 to 2 seconds of the benchmark b4 it crashed.

So I start to suspect an issue with the actual GPU in this case.

Everything is pretty much standart.
No custom settings in 3DMark

RyzenMasters is not installed on any of my systems + BIOS was also reset.

And to those who raised concearns about bottlenecking the A770
this PC is more meant as a diag / test PC
So bottlenecking is not really anything I worry about.

(also have it to easily check whether or not Intel actually added Support for native Steam VR Headsets - such as the Valve Index.
-> If that were the case I would out the A770 in my Main system and use it for that instead of the 3090 to hopefully move Arc forward on that front)

Disabling the internal GPU is from what I can tell not possible on this specific ASRock board

(on the 2200G you can't enable it once a dGPU is installed and with the 5600G it seems to be always active.
However I disabled and uninstalled it in Devicemanager)

Edit:

Other Benchmark / Stresstests such as TimeSpy and Furmark run without any issues.
The only time issues surface is with Raytracing.
For that I also tried Cyberpunk on my 5950X System.

With the result that the game crashes quickly on the higher raytracing settings.
If you even get that far - at times it just crashes outright after applying the setting ingame
Havent tested out cyberpunk much more yet tho

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@ReinForceEins wrote:

Disabling the internal GPU is from what I can tell not possible on this specific ASRock board

Yes, that seems to be, becoming a standard with ASrock Boards now... 

I have an ASRock PG Riptide Wifi B650E; and it too, does not include an option to disable the onboard GPU within the BIOS/UEFI; only an option on which to prioritize whether the Video signal boots through the Onboard, or the PCIe... but both remain active regardless of that you select... just one is prioritized over the other.

I can only Disable either one, through the Windows Device Manager...

Of course, I could just uninstall the onboard... but then there's the problem that... everytime I boot the PC it pops up "New hardware detected!   Windows is installing the device driver for .. etc etc etc etc"  ... so I just leave it disabled.

All that said...

It IS possible, that you may have gotten a bad GPU.   I mean this is basically Intel's "prototype run" into the major GPU Market; their first attempt to go at it toe to toe against the GPU Titan's of nVidia and AMD... there's bound to be mistakes in the manufacturing process and not every single card is going to be perfect.

I can say that when I bought my A770 at Microcenter, I was excited... until I got home, built my new PC... installed the A770... all the software, etc... and then booted up my favorite game... 

...and BAM. 

The PC spontaneously rebooted. 

It seemed, certain games... caused it to just spontaneously reboot in the middle of gameplay.

I panicked.    Did I do something wrong when I assembled the PC?   Is there a problem with the CPU?   The RAM?   The Motherboard?!?! 

I immediately started running every stress test and benchmark out there, looking to replicate the problem...

Every test, passed... with flying colors.  I couldn't figure it out, and to make it worse, this reboot issue only seemed to occur once every few days, to sometimes taking a week or two weeks before it happened.   I'd go and try changing this bios setting, or that one, and wait for the result... which caused my trouble shooting efforts to drag on for weeks and weeks.. 

Finally... after THREE MONTHS of this... my Wife and I were set to move to a new apartment, and I went to sort out some stuff at our rented public Storage Unit, and I found one of my old Radeon RX 580's buried in there and decided, what the heck... I'll swap the GPU and see what happens.

Suddenly the reboots stopped happening. 

Intel responded and immediately issued me an approval for a Warranty Replacement, and sent me a prepaid UPS shipping label... I went to the nearest UPS Store,  shipped it off... and within 5 business days.   Intel had sent me a Replacement. 

So far, that replacement hasn't given me any problems.

My point? 

Yea, not every A770 is perfect, its Intel's first attempt at producing a major competing GPU and so there are likely some duds out there.

But at least Intel is quick to offer solutions and help to get it replaced.

You've already determined that swapping the A770 with a 3060; resolves your problem with Port Royal.

Thats step one, in determining whether its a dud GPU.

Whats your next step?

What about testing other 3DMark benchmarks?

Have you tried Furmark?

Have you tried any other graphic/gpu intensive benchmark?

Have you tried some intensive games (with raytracing/etc)  with it?

Try to replicate the problem with other benchmarks and programs or games... and if you can, then you can probably say you have a dud, and Intel will help you get it replaced.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ReinForceEins,

We would like to let you know that we have been testing and continue to do so. However, it seems to be working for us so far. We understand that there are users who are reporting that the issue is not present in their environments, but we invite other users to share their experience in case you face a similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ReinForceEins,

We appreciate your patience. We tested the same application using the latest drivers and did not experience the issue you described; hence, it seems the problem is isolated to your system. Let us know if the crashing issue is occurring on any other app. If this is not the case, you should consult with the app developer to see if they offer any troubleshooting specific to the app.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
ReinForceEins
Novice

So I have a solution.

Turns out the GPU was faulty.
I brought it back to the shop, making sure to consult this forum first to see if others had similar issues.

There they were able to reproduce the issue and replaced the GPU.

Raytracing on the new GPU now works fine - even on a Ryzen 2200G.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ReinForceEins,

We are glad to hear that the new card is working just fine. Since the issue was solved after replacing the graphics card, we will now proceed to close the thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos