Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1966 Discussions

Crash to Desktop in Forza Horizon 5

IndigoNeon
Novice

I've been experiencing crashes with Forza Horizon 5 (Microsoft Store version) and I thought I might share what I've discovered in the hope that this issue can be tracked down.  I'm using an Intel Arc A770M card with the 31.0.101.4369 driver.  My system is a new NUC12 Enthusiast Kit running a fresh installation of Windows 10.  Resizable BAR is enabled and there are no error messages associated with the crashes.

I'm getting crashes when starting races and when backing out of the beginning menu to start driving.  I've found that the GPU does not like the Multi Sample Anti-Alias graphic setting in the game.  The default setting established by running an in-game benchmark for this is x2.  If I change this setting to OFF, the crashes don't happen, or at least haven't happened so far.  Obviously, this isn't the greatest solution because turning MSAA off makes the game look worse, but maybe somebody could test that and see if the crash is reproducible.

Oh, and the Event Viewer shows that, immediately before the crash, the 'Display driver igfxnd stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' This event is followed by the crash of ForzaHorizon5.exe.

Hopefully this information is helpful. I sure would like to have it resolved.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having game crashing issues with your Intel® Arc™ A770M Graphics, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions: 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for getting back to me.  In answer to your questions:

It wasn't happening a couple of weeks ago, but I had re-installed the OS due to a different issue and after that installation, the problem started.  Apparently, it's a problem with Forza Horizon 4 as well.

This is the Microsoft Store version of the game.

Attached are the screenshots of the graphics and video settings along with the video of the crash.  To summarize, the steps to reproduce are:

1- Start the game and select 'Start Game' and 'Continue' to proceed to the first player menu (the game will sometimes crash after this step).

2- From this menu, select 'Back' and 'Back' again at the subsequent menu.

3 - Enjoy the crash.

One additional thing I have noticed is that in Step 2, if 'Back' and then 'Drive' is selected, the crash doesn't happen.  The description in the Event Viewer is:

Faulting application name: ForzaHorizon5.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x646573ca
Faulting module name: ForzaHorizon5.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x646573ca
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000922fac
Faulting process id: 0x40cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d99e354ff35d05
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.588.95.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon5.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.588.95.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon5.exe
Report Id: e6eb98e0-a1bb-421d-81e8-7a103b6665f8
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.624F8B84B80_3.588.95.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: Forzahorizon5

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

Please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Hi Andres,

Unfortunately, the issue persists with both drivers.  Additionally, and I'm not sure if this is relevant, several instances of this error appear in the event viewer just prior to the crash:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}
and APPID
{37399C92-DC3F-4B55-AE5B-811EE82398AD}
to the user ALISON\mwest SID (S-1-5-21-3822915143-1210062376-1930126725-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.GamingApp_2305.1001.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe SID (S-1-15-2-1723189366-2159580849-2248400763-1481059666-1951766778-2756563051-3565589001). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Also, the error 'Display driver igfxnd stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' occurred at exactly the same timestamp as the ForzaHorizon5.exe crash.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your answer, it is very helpful.

I will start with an investigation, and provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon, 

I have been working on the investigation, I am aware that you have already updated the graphics driver to the latest versions, this time let's do it a little differently, please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Hi Andres,

I did a clean installation in safe mode of both drivers, but the issue persisted with both of them.  With the BETA driver, I even experienced the error 'Display driver igfxnd stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' once when the game wasn't running.  Maybe a coincidence or fluke, but I thought I'd mention it.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your response, and for completing all the steps.

I will continue with the investigation to provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your waiting.

We still working on the investigation and we are trying to replicate the issue, as soon I have further details I will let you know.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Thanks, Andres.  I appreciate the update and all your efforts!

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Hi Andres,

I received a notice from you a couple of days ago about the issue being fixed, which I think must have been a mistake.  Just to be clear, the issue is NOT fixed.  I was just thanking you for your efforts so far.  Sorry if there was any confusion.

M

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your clarification, it has been really helpful.

We still working hard on the investigation and issue replication. I am sorry if there was any confusion as well, as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your time.

Seems we were able to replicate the issue, but we still working on it just to see if we are able to find the root of the issue and continue with the next steps.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your wait time.

We are still working on the issue reproduction, as soon I have further details I will let you know.

Regards,

Andres P.

IndigoNeon
Novice

Thanks for sticking with it, Andres.  I hope we can figure it out.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your time.

We have been working on trying to replicate the issue, but it is not present, there are some steps we can follow to check if the behavior changes, please keep me informed of the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

Hi Andres,

I installed the new .4672 drivers and and reinstalled the game.  With the MSAA set to x2 (the default), the game unfortunately crashed to desktop as soon as I entered my first race.  With MSAA off, there have been no crashes.  I'm surprised you haven't been able to reproduce it any longer.  It's a very predictable crash for me.  The GPU just doesn't seem able to cope with MSAA. 

Thanks for continuing to work on it.

M

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your reply, and for letting me know the behavior it has right now.

On Thursday we released a new graphics driver, so let's update it to version 31.0.101.4676 to check if the behavior is different, following the article recommended previously How to Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 11.

Please let me know the results

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
IndigoNeon
Novice

I upgraded to the .4676 drivers but there was no change.  The game still crashes under the same conditions as before.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello IndigoNeon,

Thank you for your response, and for following all the steps.

Since the issue persists after the game reinstallation and the graphics driver updates to the latest version, I will continue with the investigation to provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos