Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1980 Discussions

Crashes with Arc A380 or A750 with Unreal Engine 4 game "Train Sim World 3" (Steam version)

ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello *,

quite similar but not the exact same Stack as shown in report https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Game-crashes-system-crashes-anytime-Unreal-Engine-games-are/td-p/1499795, Train Sim World 3 crahes on different occasions with the error "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost (Error: 0x887A0020 - 'INTERNAL ERROR')" (see attached Screenshot "UE4_Crash_Screenshot"):

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0020 - 'INTERNAL_ERROR')

TS2Prototype_Win64_Shipping
kernel32
ntdll

This crash occurs at different times within the game, but not on all tracks.

It also occurs with both a AsRock Arc A380 and an Intel Arc A750 LE, but right now I have been using the A380. It has been happeing for several months now, new driver updates bringing (Edit: typo) no improvement.

The error hasn't occured when I replaced the graphics card with a nVidia RTX 4070 or GTX 1060, nor with a AMD RX 6600 or RX 6700. I always use uninstall of the drivers, plus - in case of AMD cards - the cleanup utility provided by AMD and the DDU at last. I also reinstalled the game several times after I switched graphic cards.

The error occurs, like said, not on all tracks within the game. For example I can play the training center without problems for "hours" (which is not as much fun as it sounds). Then again I play a track and after 30 or more minutes of play, just shortly before the finish of a scenario, the game crashes (happend on track "Main-Spessart Bahn" -> "Main Spessart Bahn Journey" -> "Driver" -> "DB 88128 Gmünden - Aschaffenburg").

For other tracks, the game crashes directly while watching the loading screen when I try to start a scenario like "Main-Spessart Bahn" -> "Main Spessart Bahn Journey" -> "Driver" -> "Aschaffenburg Hbf - Gmünden - All Stops" or "Linke Rheinstrecke: Mainz - Koblenz" -> "Gorge-ous" -> "Amped" -> "IR (2214) Karlsruhe to Norddeich" or several other tracks.

In fact there are more tracks that crash than tracks that work, but when it crashes, it's always the same error.

When the error happens, the Process is shown as "inactive" as seen in attached screenshot "Taskmanager_Screenshot.png".

The output from SSU is attached as well.

Maybe there is a common issue in this error and the one I linked in the beginning of my post?

I have no crashes when I play a different game, so I would not think, that I both cards have a hardware defect.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @ArcGNU

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

I am sorry to hear that you have problems with Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics, and I’ll be more than happy to help you.

Please answer the following:

·      Have you performed a fresh Windows installation? (Please mention)

·      Have you tried an older driver version? (Or the Beta)

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @Jose_Intel ,

thanks for your reply!

- If you mean, if I have done a fresh Windows (11) installation after I switched the graphics cards: no, I haven't done that.
The procedure was always uninstall AMD/nVidia/Intel Arc-Software/Drivers from the Control Panel (if possible, no driver uninstall from Intel so far), reboot, in case of AMD done extra uninstall with the AMD cleanup utility, reboot, and at last removal with DDU in safe mode, then switch graphic cards, install newest driver from AMD/Intel/nVidia. Of course, if that needs to be mentioned, would I not install several drivers at the same time, but always just the fitting one.

- I have the Arc A380 card since December 2022, so I have installed at least each WHQL version of the driver when it came out, in the hope I saw the new driver change something for my situation. I didn't try out the newest "Beta" 4514 yet, though.
The Arc A750 LE I got to test from April to June, also with the different available WHQL drivers there.

Regards,
Dietmar

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @Jose_Intel ,

I have to partially revise my last answer. I checked when I purchased my mainboard and CPU, and had to see that that happened in the end of February 2023. And then I did do a clean Windows 11 install (with the Arc A380 installed).

And before that I used a combination of Intel Core i5-12400F and ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-Plus D4 Mainboard. I don't remember that I did a clean Windows 11 install after switching to the Arc A380 on that system (and back and fourth with then a GeForce GTX1060 and Radeon RX6600). But it was the same error back then as well, but only with the Arc installed, not with the others.

So, to sum up:

Dec 2022: purchase of Arc A380, test in system with Intel Core i5-12400F and ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-Plus D4 Mainboard -> TSW3 crashes.
No clean Windows install, "just" driver/sw uninstallation plus DDU in safe mode, when switching to another graphics card model.
Geforce GTX1060 -> no crashes.
Radeon RX6600 -> no crashes.

End of Feb 2023: purchase of the mainboard and CPU which are included in SSU report now.
Clean Windows 11 installation with Arc A380 installed -> still the same crashes
Test with GTX 1060, RX 6600, and later also with Arc A750 LE, RX 6700 and RTX 4070 -> no crashes

Regards,
Dietmar

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

Thank you for that information.   

Considering all the testing you have done so far, please install the Beta version and let me know if there is any difference.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello again,

I just did an installation (and in case it matters, I did a cleanup with DDU in safe mode and then installed the gfx_win_101.4514.exe with clean installation option as always) of the Beta version driver.

Result:

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0020 - 'INTERNAL_ERROR')

kernel32
ntdll

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

Thank you for confirming the clean installation process.

We are going to check this internally, as soon as we have an update, we will let you know by posting here.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello,

while you are testing internally, I just wanted to let you know that I did another test with the new beta driver (gfx_win_101.4575.exe) that was published recently (https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/download/729157/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-beta-windows.html).

Again, I did uninstall Arc Control, did a cleanup with DDU in safe mode, and then a clean install with said 4575 driver.

Unfortunately again no change, the game still crashes with the same error as before.

Regards,
Dietmar

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

Thank you for your patience.

We are still trying to reproduce the issue. However, we were unable to find the Train DB-88128. Also, it seems like the tracks you mentioned are part of a DLC (Main-Spessart Bahn, Gmünden – Aschaffenburg).

Would this be compatible with the game? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1998857/Train_Sim_World_MainSpessart_Bahn_Aschaffenburg__Gemunden_Route_AddOn__TSW2__TSW3_compatible/ (if not, please provide us with the right DLC to get the right track to replicate the issue).

It would be better if you could upload a screen recording of the issue, including the track and train selection process.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @Jose_Intel,

thanks for your reply!

True, the track is only available if you have the addon that you mentioned (Most tracks are only available via addon, the main game just offers 3 tracks, one each in the USA, GB and Germany).

However, the error occured also on a track that is available with the base game.

Unfortunately it will take me some time to verify on which exact scenario of the track the crash happened (afair on all of the ones that I tried out), since at the moment I don't have the Arc card installed anymore, but switched back to a competitor's card which works (sorry, I actually wanted to play my game and not just watch it crash ;-)). I hope I can switch back to the A380 tomorrow evening after work.

However, I got the error also on the track "Kassel - Würzburg" while it loads the scenario.

From the main menu
-> "To the trains (your collection)"
-> "Rail Journeys (Guided Experience)"
-> "Schnellfahrstrecke: Kassel - Würzburg"
-> "King of the Kassel"
-> "Making TRAXX"
-> "50244 Ludwigshafen - Hamburg Billwerder
-> Get Started -> Loading -> Crash

Since I think you need to play the other chapters for "King of the Kassel" before you get to play that, I will check if it crashes also on a scenario earlier (which I believe is the case).

But, like written earlier, in order to reproduce, I have to go through the whole switching graphic cards procedure again. 

Do you prefer me to use the latest Beta driver 4576, or the latest WHQL 4575 for the test?

Regards
ArcGNU

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

@Jose_Intel 

Well, I couldn't sleep at once, so I did a quick switcheroo and replaced my card with the Arc A380 again, deinstallation of old drivers, DDU in safe mode, installation of WHQL 4575 in clean mode, reinstall the game and just install the core game without any DLC.

Main Menu
-> To The Trains
-> Rail Journeys
-> Schnellfahrstrecke: Kassel - Würzburg
-> King of the Kassel
-> ICE Festival (First chapter)

This contains three scenarios. The first two at least load (I haven't had time of course to try if I can drive them to the end. But since the first scenario "BR401 ICE 1 Introduction" plays in the Training Center and I never had any crash there, I guess it works. The second scenario "ICE Breaker" loads as well, but I haven't tried it out now, if one can finish it without crash).

With the third one "ICE 793 Berlin Ostbahnhof to Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf" however, I get a crash on load (so Get Started -> Loading Screen -> crash).

That should be the easiest way to reproduce.

Or, if you prefer to play in the USA setting, you can also try out "Cajon Pass".

-> To The Trains
-> Rail Journeys
-> Cajon Pass
-> Passing Grade
-> Rookie (First chapter)

This chapter also contains three scenarios. Again, the first two at least load without crash ("ES44C2 Training Module" and "Long Train and Brakes Introduction"), the third one "Z-ELPSDG6-05 Intermodal El Paso to San Diego" crashes while loading with the same error as in the description.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
ArcGNU

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

That’s great, thank you for that information.

We will continue with our testing, as soon as we have another update we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello,

any progress with reproducing the problem? If you couldn't reproduce it by now, you can as well go ahead and close this topic. I don't think that I will be able to reproduce/test myself after the weekend, since I will switch away from my A380. I don't say that in order to try to put pressure on you, I just don't want to leave it open when I cannot contribute more to this case.

Thanks for your help so far, it is appreciated!

Regards,

ArcGNU

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

I am really sorry for the late response. I want to let you know that we are still working on trying to reproduce the issue, to find a solution together.

I understand you might change the GPU, but keep in mind that we will continue our testing and as soon as we have updates, we will post here.

Thank you for all the time and feedback you provided.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @Jose_Intel ,

let me assure you that I very much appreciate your work and dedication to this case so far!

I'm currently looking for a possibility to build a second system, so I can continue to do tests with the A380.

Thanks!

Regards
ArcGNU

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @Jose_Intel,

wanted to let you know that I saw a new WHQL driver (4644), which I installed (nearly the same procedure as always, only difference would be that I aborted the installation of the 4644 driver to shutdown my system, unplug the Display Port cable and connected the A380 to my display with an HDMI cable, as the installation routine required for the firmware update).

Since I didn't get an error message, I believe that the update should have completed successfully, but in case you would like to check, ArcControl gives the following information for Systeminformationen/Hardware for IFWI (V-BIOS): 20.1064.0. Since I didn't look before which value it had, I am not sure if that is good or not.

However, after the driver was installed, i did a quick test with at least the Kassel-Würzburg track that crashed, and unfortunately I still could reproduce the crash with the same UE4-error like before, so no improvement there.

I hope you were successful by now with reproducing the problem?

Regards,
ArcGNU

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ArcGNU

Thank you for testing our latest driver and sharing this update with us. We continue to test this game to document and reproduce this issue, we apologize for the delay so far but we want to make sure the proper testing is done in case the game needs fixes. We will let you know as soon as we have an update on this.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Just for the record: no change with driver 101.4669.

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

@Hugo_Intel 

The video you attached  in another thread (community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Crashes-with-Train-World-Simulator-3-Using-a770/m-p/1516874#M7100) is btw the exact behaviour, I have. So it seems you were able to reproduce my isssue, good to know.

Btw: the only way I got out (since in the video it seemed you also experienced that you couldn't get the UE crash report nor Task Manager to the "front" anymore) without restarting, was to WIN-TAB and move the rash report and task manager windows to a new desktop (right click on the window -> move window -> new desktop). On the new desktop they were functional, and I could both send the crash report and kill the TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping.exe process with the Task Manager.

0 Kudos
AndreyEm
Beginner

Hello,

My son has A750 GPU and I have the same issue with Train Sin World 3. Is the same issue would be with Train Sim World 4?

Regards,

Andrei

0 Kudos
ArcGNU
Beginner

Hello @AndreyEm ,

good question (I do have the same question), but since Train Sim World 4 (TSW4) is not yet available, I guess the only way to know would be to ask Dovetail Games (the publisher and developer) about it.

I guess it depends on if the problem will/can be fixed driver wise by Intel , or if it needs fixes in the game by Dovetail Games or both.

If I understood Hugo_Intel's comment from 2023-08-16 (community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Crashes-with-Arc-A380-or-A750-with-Unreal-Engine-4-game-quot/m-p/1514612#M6792), then that is still to be determined.

So I guess we will have to wait a little longer to find out, if the problem will also exist with TSW4. I for my part will wait for clarification before I consider buying TSW4 and open a ticket at the Dovetail Games support. I recommend you do the same - the more people asking Dovetail Games about it, if TSW4 will work with Intel cards, the more likely Dovetail Games will react/care.

Regards,
ArcGNU

0 Kudos