Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1984 Discussions

Elite Dangerous Crashes on startup using latest driver - 31.0.101.4311

Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hello,

I recently described an issue I was having in my thread entitled "Monitor Refresh Rates - Part 2" pertaining to my experience with my favourite game, Elite Dangerous.

I Downloaded the latest beta driver a couple of days ago - version 31.0.101.4311

With it Elite Dangerous crashes on startup. Tried this several times, same result every time.

Reverted to the previous driver, good to go again. (With all the previously mentioned issues, of course).

Just wanted to bring this to your attention so as to hopefully avoid the issue in future driver releases if possible.

Best regards,

Steve

60 Replies
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@Steve_NB 

I managed to get the game running last night, and spent about 30 mins in my ExploraJumpaConda, without any issues.

Running Driver 4257. 

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Fantastic news! I'm extremely happy for you and if I was able to help in making the game playable then that's made my day.

Best Regards

Steve

AKA Cmdr Jailbait     All Elite players feel free to friend me in game if that fits with your style of gameplay.

0 Kudos
Gristlan
Beginner

Hi all, on the patch notes for update 15 I saw this under "known issues":

• A crash can occur when running new Intel Drivers:
    • Installing the newest Intel Arc graphics drivers both the normal release driver and the beta driver ('Release - 31.0.101.4314' - 'Beta - 31.0.101.4335') crashes the game on the planet generation loading screen and crashes after it reaches 100%.

So it's not fixed, but at least we know its on fdev's radar!

o7

Pierce aka CMDR Gristlan

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Thank you for that update!

o7

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

I may have brought that to Frontier's attention whilst talking about my earlier issue - I get this 'blanking' issue when I start Elite after updating either the graphics drivers, or the game. My gaming monitor (where naturally I play my games) goes completely blank for seconds at a time, making the game unplayable. Workaround is pressing shift+ctrl+win+b which apparently resets the graphics subsystem and makes the issue go away for my session. I suspect the blanking issue may be due to my monitor configuration. I have a central 165Hz 1080p gaming monitor, and two flanking 60Hz 1080p non gaming monitors.

0 Kudos
exc0mmunicated
New Contributor I
Hello
I think the Arc-Team are going to fix this.
Its now in the issue-list. (mean the crash on start)
Btw I had never problems with refresh rate or resolution. (WQHD with 165Hz)
I cant also not recommend such workarounds like rendering about CPU (deinstall card driver and use orig. card adapter by Windows).
- too high temps
- too high power consum
- long time waiting
It will make no sense cause at the end the player will be need the right Arc driver.
@this moment I have to wait for Intel Support...my 13900KF seems to be dead
Cant test anything ;(

Have a nice day
0 Kudos
bladan
Novice

hello, I'm in the same situation: crash at 0% when planet generation is loading. 

intel arc a770 16gb driver 4335

good to know that the arc team is working on!

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hi,

thank you for adding to the thread.

Hopefully your game still works if you revert to driver version 31.0.101.4257?

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
davidoliver
Beginner

If Elite Dangerous crashes on startup with the latest driver version (31.0.101.4311), there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Verify system requirements: Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to run Elite Dangerous, including the required operating system, CPU, GPU, and RAM. Check the game's official website or documentation for the specific requirements.

2. Update drivers: Although you mentioned using the latest driver, it's worth confirming that all your drivers are up to date. Visit the website of your GPU manufacturer (such as NVIDIA or AMD) and download the latest driver specifically for your graphics card model. Install the updated driver and restart your computer.

3. Verify game files: It's possible that some game files may have become corrupted or are incompatible. Use the game launcher or platform (such as Steam) to verify the integrity of the game files. This process will check for any corrupted files and replace them if necessary.

4. Disable third-party software: Temporarily disable any third-party software running in the background that might interfere with the game, such as antivirus software, overlays, or recording software. These programs can sometimes conflict with games and cause crashes. If the game starts without issues after disabling them, you can try adding exceptions or adjusting settings in those programs to allow smooth gameplay.

5. Run the game in compatibility mode: Right-click on the Elite Dangerous executable file or shortcut, go to Properties, and navigate to the Compatibility tab. Enable "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select an earlier version of Windows, such as Windows 7 or Windows 8. Apply the changes and try running the game again.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Tried 31.0.101.4369 this evening.

Elite still crashing on startup at the same place.

Also noted that the 'blanking' issue I described that starts when starting Elite (on an older driver where Elite does still load) now occurs as soon as I start up windows, on my 165Hz gaming monitor only, the two 60Hz monitors do not experience this.

Shift+Ctrl+Win+b still fixes the issue for the session.

0 Kudos
Gristlan
Beginner

Hi all, I just installed 31.0.101.4369 and updated Elite to 15.01, I finally got passed the Planet Generation screen. It seems to be working for me again. Since I didn't update the drivers till this morning I can't be sure if it is the new Elite update, I'm curious to know if it's just me or not.

Thanks for all your input,

Pierce

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Thank you for the update.

I just upgraded the game to 15.01, reinstalled 31.0.101.4369, but the game still crashes at the Planet Generation screen.

Back to the last previously working driver for me

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Tested Driver 4369 tonight.

Elite was automatically updated to 15.01 via Steam.

Crash to Desktop at 0% Planet Generation.

Besides this problem with Elite... and the constant spontaneous rebooting I'm having... Its really got me debating.

I've got just about 1 week left, on my Return for Refund Policy on this A770 with Microcenter... 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Well its starting to look like Driver 4369 might have resolved my spontaneous reboot issue.

I don't know what Intel did but I haven't had a reboot in the past 4 days that I've been using this Driver, though I don't want to jinx it by saying it IS fixed..

But for now, the only issue I do seem to still have... is this issue with Elite Dangerous crashing to desktop at 0% Planet Generation.

So far, it still looks like I can only get Elite to run, with Beta Driver 4257.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Just tested the new BETA Driver 31.0.101.4382

Still a no go; game still fails to load, and crashes, at 0% Planet Generation....

Also Windows failed to recognize the Publisher of the Driver, and gives installation warnings on this one.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hello,

I suspect the installation warnings may be due to going from a WHQL release driver to a beta driver. The system notices that you are going from a signed driver to an unsigned one, and flags it up to you. I remember seeing quite possibly the same warnings.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

So a couple weeks ago, I did a search for this issue on Frontiers Issue Tracker and after not finding one... 

I went and created one... just to have it listed there.

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/59766

Really hoping the next Driver Release from Intel resolves it though, I'm missing my Elite fix... cause if I go back to the 4257 Driver, my reboot issue increases in frequency... where as with the current Beta 4382 Driver, it seems to only happen once a week now.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Still not working with BETA Driver 31.0.101.4499 -  Released on June 14, 2023

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

I've opened a new thread specifically asking for an update:-

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Request-for-update-on-issue-with-Elite-Dangerous-crashing-on/td-p/1496317/jump-to/first-unread-message

Hopefully get some feedback soon.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
STEMALO
Novice

Hi everyone,

I just built a new PC (upgrading). Got i7 13th, 64GB ram and INTEL ARC A750.

Needless to say I was disappointed when I reinstalled ED only to find that it keeps on crashing.

I am running the latest drivers. This is a brand new build.

31.0.101.4502 (release date 6/15/2023)

Is there an ETA for the fix?

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Hi @STEMALO 

You're not the only one, quite a few of us are having this same problem.

So far as we know, there is no ETA for a fix yet.... however both Intel and FDev ARE looking into it.

In fact Intel is actually looking into getting it added to their driver update notes as a "known issue under investigation" or some such description. 

There is some hope however... 

For quite a few of us, the old BETA Driver 31.0.101.4257 works just fine!

So give that one a try and see if it works for you!

0 Kudos