Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1984 Discussions

Elite Dangerous Crashes on startup using latest driver - 31.0.101.4311

Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Hello,

I recently described an issue I was having in my thread entitled "Monitor Refresh Rates - Part 2" pertaining to my experience with my favourite game, Elite Dangerous.

I Downloaded the latest beta driver a couple of days ago - version 31.0.101.4311

With it Elite Dangerous crashes on startup. Tried this several times, same result every time.

Reverted to the previous driver, good to go again. (With all the previously mentioned issues, of course).

Just wanted to bring this to your attention so as to hopefully avoid the issue in future driver releases if possible.

Best regards,

Steve

60 Replies
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Tested with BETA Driver 4575 and still not working.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

I'm not surprised.

In my more recent thread Request for update on issue with Elite Dangerous crashing on Startup - Intel Community where I tried to get an update as I don't believe this thread is being monitored any more, Hugo indicated that even if they could not get Elite placed in the release notes as a known issue, there would be a mention for Elite if they resolved the issue.

Assuming that info is kosher, I did not try this release myself, but I did read the release notes, and noted no positive Elite news.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yea, I'm kinda disappointed with Intel on this issue... 

I mean counting the number of individuals who have come into this thread to comment they're having this same problem, as well as one or two other threads in here that I 've seen commenting on it... its basically one of the biggest issues they have right now, based on what's posted in these forums.

But at this point, I feel like they're either ignoring it... or just shoved way down on their list as a low priority; in favor of newer or more popular games.

Elite Dangerous was one of the main reasons I bought my A770 in the first place, as when I was shopping for a replacement GPU... and researching the various options within a specific budget and watching countless youtube reviews, etc... I found that the A770 had the absolute best performance in ED for the price point.   

So I thought.. "awesome!   I'll go research some of my other favored games and see how well they perform with the A770" .. and found most all of them performed quite well too.   

So I bought it.

Then discovered ED doesn't work... unless I run it with just one specific outdated Driver... and absolutely no updates from Intel that they're even looking at it... other then... "Ok, yea we'll put it in the release notes if/when, it gets fixed."  

Hey @Carlos_L_Intel & @Hugo_Intel   .. ARE you , or any of the other Mods here, watching the number of posters on this thread, and DO the Developers know that this IS as big an issue as it is?   

I mean come on guys... FIVE MONTHS?!   

Almost FIVE MONTHS now since the last Driver was released (Beta 4257) which this game worked with; which was released in MARCH 28...

The very next Driver to be released, was  Beta 4311 on April 13   ... and this game hasn't worked since... and we're now coming up on August.. 

April, May, June, July.... AUGUST...    FIVE MONTHS, and still no fix??!

This is absolutely EMBARASSING Intel... 

0 Kudos
exc0mmunicated
New Contributor I

Thats one reason why Im DONE with Intel!
I mean all products of Intel.

The support on phone or with ticket are so arrogant. I'm sure they laugh about it in the break room.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

BETA Driver 4576

Planet Generation remained stuck at 0% .... 

But then, just a split fraction of a second before it crashed to desktop, I saw it jump to 17% ... then it crashed as usual.

Sooo.. even though there's no mention in the driver release notes, it looks like... Intel or someone, has attempted to make some progress on this.

Mind, this was also immediately after some sort of update to the game was dropped on Steam today.

0 Kudos
HexieDecimals
Novice

Aug 13th , driver 31.0.101.4577.

Game is crashing at planetary generation at 0% for me too.

Brand new card, didn't know this would be an issue. Kind of disappointed this seems to have been going for months.

Rest of my games work perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Hey @HexieDecimals 

Have you tried Beta Driver 4257?

Its an older one, but quite a few of us have been able to get ED to run just fine with it!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Everyone,

We would like to thank you all for your patience.

We would like to inform you that, after investigating this problem, the driver developer team has been working on a fix, which is now implemented in the latest driver, 31.0.101.4644. Please try this driver update and let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
STEMALO
Novice

It works, took 20-30 seconds before it started to generate planetary stuff.

Took some time but thanks.

PS. Make sure STARFIELD works.

0 Kudos
Steve_NB
New Contributor I

Thank you very much for the update.

I just cleaned my system of the old driver using DDU, installed 4644, and fired up Elite.

The planetary generation system stalled at 0% for quite a while (similar to STEMALO's experience), but eventually carried on, and Elite successfully started.

Looks good so far, but I will put in a full gaming session later for better test. After all, lots of updates have happened since the last driver that worked with Elite (4257) and any of them could have broken Elite in other places

But seriously, thank you to yourself and the team very much for putting the time and effort in to address this.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello STEMALO,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new driver. We are glad to know that the game is now working.

We will keep this thread open for a few days for other users to report the outcome on their particular systems. If you are experiencing this precise issue, we invite you to share your experience.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Thank you very much for the update!

Unfortunately I can not yet confirm on my end whether its working.... as I got an RMA/SWR approved for my A770 for an unrelated issue...

So I can't test until I ship it back, and get the replacement sent to me.

Hoping to get it packed and shipped before the end of this week, so maybe I'll have the replacement by the end of next week, or the week after.

0 Kudos
Constanted
Beginner

Снимок экрана (2093).png31.0.101.4644, at the start, the game gave a standard error window, but the Preparing Planet Generation System went through and started smoothly. Well, we waited for almost half a year and finally a miracle happened, o7 commanders. (Odyssey 4.0.0.1600)

0 Kudos
AndrewHolland
Beginner

On the basis of finally seeing Elite Dangerous running on the ARC 700 family, yesterday I bought an ARC A750 to replace a GeForce GTX 780 and just installed it tonight, can confirm the same crash happens at 0% planet generation but game carries on then appears to run normally. So just a few little bugs for Intel to sort of this but at least it runs now! Thank you Intel!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

Hi @Constanted and @Steve_NB,

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the new driver update. It's great to hear that the game is now running properly after some initial issues.

@Nazrex, we understand that you're in the middle of the warranty process for your A770 card. Once you receive your replacement and have the chance to test it, please let us know if you need further assistance.

For everyone else reading this, we'll keep this thread open for a few more days to allow other users to share their experiences. If you're experiencing any issues related to the thread topic, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

ToBeFree
Beginner

Works nicely with 31.0.101.4314! Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

We wanted to thank you all for taking the time to try the game using our new driver. Since many users have reported that the game is now working fine, we will close this thread. If you need additional information, submit a new question since this thread will no longer be monitored.

If you haven't had a chance to test it yet, please do so at your earliest convenience. And if you encounter any issues with the updated driver, kindly report them on a separate thread.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

After receiving and installing my replacement A770, then installing the latest Driver.

I can confirm that Elite Dangerous is working perfectly for me as well!

0 Kudos
bladan
Novice

driver 4664 works for me also (A770)

0 Kudos