Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1839 Discussions

Final Fantasy XV Still Crashing

EnderBeta
Beginner

I have been updating as the drivers come out up to and including 31.0.101.5522. Nothing fixes the issue. Final Fantasy XV is super unstable. I have two Arc A770 16GB GPUs one in a Z590 with a i9-11900K and a B550i with a 5800X3D and an Arc A770 16GB.

The game tends to crash mostly when particle effects are on the screen in battle.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
EnderBeta
Beginner

Crash is actually the wrong way to describe the aberrant behavior. The game freezes. The video stops. Whatever was playing continues on and I'm forced to force close the game. It might as well be a crash because it kills the game.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Lowering the resolution of the game or lowering graphics settings seems to help.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Bumping for attention. This game is broken with constant lock ups especially later in the game.

This is a show stopper. Please fix it.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi EnderBeta,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We have been informed of incidents where Final Fantasy 13* Crashes while Running on Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics. I intend to bring up the matter of Final Fantasy XV with our engineering team but to accurately replicate the issue, we require the following information from you:

1. System Support Utility (SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your system details and configuration. Refer to How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*
  2. Game Settings:

Minimum Requirements Link:

Distribution Service (example: Steam / Origin / Epic / XboxGamePass / Ubisoft Connect): 

Graphic Quality (Low, Medium, High, Ultra):

Resolution (1920x1080, 3840x2160):

Vsync (On/Off): 

Window Display Configuration (Fullscreen / Windowed/ Borderless Windowed):

Awaiting your reply.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Attached is the SSU log of my AMD machine with the Arc A770 16GB LE. I'll get the i9-11900K machine tomorrow morning.

I'm playing on steam.

Framerates are ok at 1440P Highest settings for everything. The issue is the game video will freeze after a while. I thought at first from testing that it might have been resolved by me lowering the settings or resolution but that doesn't make a difference. Shutting the system down and powering back up resolves the issue for a while.

The game locks up at any resolution in full screen and borderless with or without vsync. I have not tested nor am I interested in playing in windowed mode. Typically, after a fresh reboot the game is playable for a few hours. If the game is closed and reopened the game will freeze in short order. It's more likely to freeze while in battle. Later in the game this is a huge problem when there are long gaps between being able to save.

I went back and confirmed that my MSI Prestige X570 Creation with a 5950X, 32GB memory and a Powercolor RX 6950 XT Red Devil doesn't have the issue. Final Fantasy XV plays perfectly. Obviously, I'm not looking for the performance to match and the Arc does well. I just want the video to stop freezing.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Attached is the log for my i9-11900k, Sparkle Arc A770 Titan 16GB, 32GB memory. The game freezes on this machine just as badly with the same range of settings.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello EnderBeta,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll check this issue internally and update you as soon as it becomes available.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi EnderBeta,

Thank you for your patience.

We are actively investigating the issue you've reported, and your cooperation would be greatly appreciated to expedite the process. To assist us in gathering comparative data, we kindly ask that you run the game's benchmark a few times. This will help us determine if the issue persists consistently on your end.

You can access the benchmark test at the following link: Final Fantasy XV Benchmark

http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

The results of your tests are crucial for our analysis, especially since debugging issues that occur randomly can be quite challenging and take longer to catch.

Please let us know the outcomes of your benchmark tests at your earliest convenience. Your findings will play a significant role in helping us resolve this matter swiftly.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Please add Crisis Core on Steam to your list of games that are freezing. It didn't crash on the previous driver but the new driver released a few days ago is causing it to crash.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

EnderBeta_0-1717289379733.png

this is the Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion error

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello EnderBeta,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll pass on your comments about Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII to our engineering team.

Concerning our recommendation to run the game's benchmark multiple times, I'd like to follow up on that. Have you had the chance to carry it out?

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Crisis Core is not as bad as Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XII. These games lock up almost all the time. Crisis Core seems to be triggering some kind of watch dog judging by the message. 

Sorry I didn't notice the request for the benchmark. I'll give it a shot, trying it now.  I just confirmed on my machine that driver version 5534 has the same issue. I also found out today that Final Fantasy XII in full screen and borderless also crashes. For whatever reason Intel's drivers really hate Square Enix's older games.

This is a result from one pass. There were a few major stutters in it but it was otherwise ok. When I'm playing the game though it almost always freezes in the middle of a long battle. There are lots of particle effects and the characters are all over the screen.

EnderBeta_0-1717541542812.png

Strangely enough I changed the settings from high to max minus the nvidia features at the bottom. I left those off and the score was higher.

EnderBeta_1-1717542207543.png

I think the best way you can encounter the issue is to try this game save from my machine. Walk up the street and fight the mech. I play at the high setting and I have tried the max setting minus nvidia and they crash in extended battles. This battle is long enough for it to crash on my two machines with Arc A770 16GB cards.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

I tried using DXVK tonight (Release Version 2.3 · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub) and the gameplay is sub optimal with stuttering here and there but the game plays through the long battles without crashing for roughly an hour of play through.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello EnderBeta,

Thank you for taking the time to implement our suggestions.

I will keep this case under review with our team. An update will be provided to you at the earliest opportunity

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
EnderBeta
Beginner

Please do more than review it. Having to use DXVK is not a solution. It just means that something in the Arc A770 is fundamentally broken for DirectX11.

0 Kudos