Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1683 Discussions

HDR Video Playback Issues - Sparkle Elf A380

ilikenwf
Beginner

No matter what I do I seem to be unable to get HDR10 content in any format to play under Kodi on Archlinux. I have gone as far as using the current git builds of kodi, the intel media driver, and other related packages.

I know the video files I'm testing with are HDR and play properly on the tv directly, but I want to use my HTPC.

I know that if I use a Librelec nightly instead of Kodi, that one of many, many test files will trigger HDR mode on the TV.

I also know that HDR content playback from youtube on Arch with Kodi faIils miserably, giving me a black screen.

I suspect all these issues are related but am unable to determine what to do next, as the Kodi folks have tried to help me as much as they can, and I've tried everything I know to do without success.

It is starting to feel like I wasted my money on this GPU.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ilikenwf
Beginner

I have narrowed it down to an issue when using the VAAPI to playback VP9 videos. If I use software rendering HDR works, if I use hardware rendering with the A380, the playback fails, at least with youtube VP9 streams.

Some other VP9 videos that are saved on my hdd are hit and miss whether HDR actually works but they do at least play.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ilikenwf

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites.

In this case, ArchLinux is not a supported Operating System and we need to make sure this is not an OS limitation. Please retest in a Windows platform using our latest driver 31.0.101.5081 or you can also test in Ubuntu 22.04 making sure to follow the following guide to correctly install the driver on the system:

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/driver/client/overview.html

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ilikenwf

I wanted to follow up and check if you had the chance to test the HDR video playback capabilities in a supported OS, please let us know the outcome.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ilikenwf

Since we have not received a response from you we will no longer monitor this thread. In case you are still experiencing issues when trying to play HDR10 videos on ArchLinux, I would recommend you reach out to the distribution developer for driver support since this is an unsupported OS. If you happen to test Windows or Ubuntu 22.04 and experience the sam problem fell free to open an ew topic so we can further assist.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos