Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1659 Discussions

Intel Arc Control for Overclock- Linux

Cocosaubro
Beginner
Hello.

I would like to know a way to overclock or undervolt my Intel Arc A770 GPU in Linux. Is this possible?

Investigating I find that the only way is with the Intel Arc Control program, but this is only for Windows.

Why not implement a similar solution for Linux?

It's a shame that Intel leaves its Linux customers stranded, who in turn decide to go for the red competition ( due to the same lack of Intel Arc GPUs in that OS ), where the only more complete alternative would be AMD's Radeons.
11 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Cocosaubro,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities and for letting us know your comments and suggestions related to Intel® Arc™ Graphics overclocking with Linux Operating Systems.

You are right, currently, the only tool that supports overlocking of the Graphics Card that is officially supported by Intel is Arc Control - Windows only.

Your feedback will be passed to the developer team for a future release although can't promise any outcome nor ETA.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Cocosaubro,

Remember your feedback will be passed to the developer team for a future release although can't promise any outcome nor ETA.

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
HXunbanned
Novice

+1 ; on Fedora 38, A770 LE is way hotter than in WIndows, so being able to make fan spin faster and reduce voltage is mandatory to stop shameful attitude by Intel.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello @HXunbanned,

Thank you for letting us know about it.

In this case, I recommend you open another thread related to your issue and suggestion since it is a different issue related to the one reported on this thread. Doing that we will e able to keep this thread organized and help you in the best way.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Cocosaubro
Beginner

Hello @Andres_Intel .

Actually the problem indicated by @HXunbanned  is related to the topic of this thread, due to the following:

Intel Arc graphics cards run very hot because they do not have optimal power consumption; All this heat results in thermal throttling, which in turn causes a loss of performance and stability. In Windows we can correct the problem by performing Undervolting and a small adjustment to the speed of the fans through the Intel Arc Control program, which significantly improves temperatures.

The dilemma is that there is no solution in Linux for this problem, so in any distribution you will see lower than expected performance (due to high temperatures). A shame, since there is a small market in Linux that Intel has been losing little by little and has not been able to take advantage of.

I hope they don't forget about us.

0 Kudos
HXunbanned
Novice

Hm. I think there is a solution; Intel, just like all other greedy begemoth Tech companies, gives zero f**s about all consumers.. only care about ones who pays best. If there would be no solution for Temperature/Fan already after Kernel 6.2, then there would be no posts like these:

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your response and clarification.

The information has been submitted to the corresponding team for a future release.

Since @HXunbanned has opened another thread, this will help us to track the suggestion and submit it to the team as well, as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions or comments.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Cocosaubro,

I would like to know if you need further assistance, remember that the information has been submitted to the corresponding team for a future release.

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Cocosaubro,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
ejrowley
Beginner

Intel, please fix this. I just bought 2 of Intel Arc graphics cards for use on my Linux machines. Yikes they are annoyingly loud ramping up and down at idle... I really wanted to recommend these to people, but as things stand now, the noise is totally irritating. Do something about this, please.

0 Kudos