Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1669 Discussions

Issue with installing i386 packages for Intel Arc on Ubuntu based systems

CompellingBytes
Beginner

Hi,
I'm trying to install the packages and drivers for Ubuntu Linux based systems on a number of Ubuntu based distributions. The packages (and repo) I'm referring to is located here:

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/driver/client/overview.html
(sections 3.1.2 & 3.1.4)

After trying to install the i386 packages, I receive the following whenever I try to run `apt install`:

Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 build-essential : Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                            libc-dev
                   Depends: gcc (>= 4:10.2) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: g++ (>= 4:10.2) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: make
                   Depends: dpkg-dev (>= 1.17.11) but it is not going to be installed
 libegl1-mesa:i386 : Depends: libegl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libegl1-mesa-dev:i386 : Depends: libegl-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libglvnd-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libgl1-mesa-dev:i386 : Depends: libgl-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 : Depends: libgl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libgles2-mesa:i386 : Depends: libgles2:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libgles2-mesa-dev:i386 : Depends: libgles-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 libwayland-egl1-mesa:i386 : Depends: libegl1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 mesa-common-dev:i386 : Depends: libgl-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libglx-dev:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I can't even install other packages, this is debilitating relative to the ability to operate a given system. I've tried this on a number of distributions, KDE Neon, Ubuntu 22.04, and Linux Mint 21.3.

These packages are essential to use if you want to do any sort of compute/AI tasks with Intel Arc on Linux. If a user wants to also game on the same instance, and try to install the packages that allow i386 games to play using something like steam, their instance of a given system is practically paralyzed. I don't know what the issue is, but this could negatively affect the user experience of anyone whose trying to use an Intel Arc card for gaming and compute/AI tasks.

7 Replies
durstloescher
Beginner

Hello CompellingBytes! 

I have EXACTLY the same problem right now. Same GPU, Same i386 packages and i could not find a solution by now. I just want to let you know, that you're not alone. I'll reply here when i'm successful. Please feel free to answer aswell when you found a solution. 

0 Kudos
sleetdrop
Beginner

I met the same problem when using Codeweavers Crossover, when I tried to install a 32bit windows application, crossover want to install those 32bit packages, and met the problem .

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CompellingBytes, 

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please generate an SSU report to help us further analyze important details on your system, such as the OS build number, complete model of your system, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article: How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

After providing your SSU, I will raise the case with our engineers.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sleetdrop
Beginner

It's a problem about linux packages provided  intel's GPU driver apt repository conflicts with ubuntu Linux's packages. It has nothing to do with Windows Platform.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CompellingBytes, 

I apologize for my mistake. Here's the link on how to get the Linux SSU; we will need it for further investigation so we can provide you with the appropriate recommendation:  Intel® System Support Utility for the Linux Operating System.

FYI @sleetdrop 

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CompellingBytes, 

We are checking in with you, as we have not heard any response from you.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello CompellingBytes, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this enquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead. 

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos