Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1664 Discussions

The standby power consumption of the graphics card is too high

zelas2xerath
Beginner

The standby power consumption of the graphics card is too high

Even under zero load, the power consumption of the Intel Arc A770 graphics card is still as high as 40W, and the GPU temperature can reach as high as 50C at this time. Compared to other graphics cards, this is clearly a design flaw.

To be precise, it is not necessary to maintain the 16GB graphics memory of this graphics card at 2186MHz for operation at all times. These graphics memories are quite power consuming and generate unnecessary heat.

It is very necessary to set up a dynamic frequency modulation for these massive graphics memories to reduce the standby power consumption of the entire card.

Ideally, the standby power consumption should be maintained below 15W.

I have reviewed the discussion on this topic on the forum and it has been rarely mentioned recently, but I attach great importance to it. Because this issue has not been resolved under consecutive versions of the driver. Perhaps you ignored it? Is it still in development progress? (Used versions 4023-4576)

I need an accurate answer

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello zelas2xerath

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing high power consumption issues with your Intel® Arc™ GPU.

Please note that the ranges for power consumption at idle have not been defined by Intel and they can vary across different systems and configurations but there is no ideal power consumption for the GPU.

Also, the power consumption for Intel® Arc™ GPUs is linked to the number of displays connected to it, depending on your configurations the GPU can go into a lower power consumption state. Please check the following article for more information and the optimized settings for power consumption:

High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello zelas2xerath

Please let us know if you have further questions related to this topic.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello zelas2xerath

I see there are no further questions related to this topic so we will proceed to close this thread. Feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Hugo O. 

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello zelas2xerath

Before closing this thread I would like to check if you had the opportunity to review the information on the article 'High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle'. As noted in the article, the number of displays, resolution, and refresh rate will have a direct impact on the power consumption of the Arc GPU even on Idle status. Do you have any other questions or concerns?

At the same time, I would like to thank you for your feedback. I understand your concern about the current power consumption of the GPU and voiced your concern with the dev team to see if in the future we can deliver further improvements via drivers and firmware updates.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos