Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1614 Discussions

Windows Freeze after 101.4314 update

mariodev
Beginner

Hello,
I and two friends have the same problem, with different hardware.

With the update 101.4314 as soon as Windows starts it freezes within 1-3 seconds except for the mouse. When I manage to press CTRL ALT DEL, only the blue window appears but nothing is clickable.

I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling the driver version in Windows Safe Mode and reinstalling the 101.4255 version.

other problem:

Resizable BAR is deactivated according to Control Center although it was activated in the Bios, it was also deactivated several times, rebooted and activated again, no improvement.

I have now also updated BIOS again no improvement.

My hardware:

Intel Arc A770

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 

16GB RAM

Mainboard Asus Prime B450M-A

My Bios Version: 4002 

Is this a general problem?
A few friends have the same problem, but I don't have the hardware specs right now.

Best Regards,

Mario

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
dimitrispantos
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading the drivers, I have installed the operating system twice and again the same, I changed cables from the graphics card to the monitor and again the same, I think I found a solution but I don't know how long it will work, I activated the bar in the bios and lowered the refresh rate on the screen to 60. so far it's working fine

0 Kudos
Neo-Freeman
Beginner

Same here. all 43xx Driver versions WHQL or Beta do not work for me.

beside freeze after some seconds in Windows

it also could freeze after open a context menu (doesnt matter where)

and also if UAC kicks in and want to display its Window to confirm, it will never schow up, the overlay apears to darken the background and remove everything on screen but the Window to confirm the action is not displayed.

you just can move the mouse (if its not froze fully) but thats it. you can do anything beside reset the system or hold the power button to shutdown.

with UAC active its also a hassle to remove and reinstall the drivers.

i now tried everything

all avaliable newer driver version

DDU to remove driver traces

aso

the only last working driver currently is the 4257 Beta. cause 4255 caused crashes in the Diablo4 beta (and soon a new beta starts)

my system is a

latest W10 version

i7 9900

and board is a H310M PRO-M2 PLUS

16GB DDR4

Intel ARC 770 LE 16GB

Board is a Infinite Desktop version, so i cant enable Re-bar

cause in this version it uses a other Bios.

i could try to crossflash to a retail version of the board (and it maybe should work)

but i dont have money to spare if it goes wrong.

so re-bar enabeling is out of the Question currently.

0 Kudos
Neo-Freeman
Beginner

Mario@ in bios if you enable re-bar you need to disable a virtualisation option to make it work. there is a Thread here in forum that explains this with variants to some vendors. check this out if it quickly helps with your problem.

0 Kudos
Neo-Freeman
Beginner

@mariodev found it  community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/I-don-t-understand-this-a-resizeable-bar-problem/m-p/1463449#M2199

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issues with Intel® Arc™.

Let us look into this and we will get back to you as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello everyone,

We appreciate your patience regarding the matter at hand.

To @mariodev, we have taken note that you are currently using the Asus PRIME B450M-A + Ryzen 5 2600. Please take note that this combination does not support Resizable BAR, which may severely impact the performance of the Arc GPU without it. It is highly recommended that you upgrade your hardware to meet the requirements of the Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics.

Regarding the issue, we would like to inform you that the 101.43xx drivers have been available for some time now, and we have not encountered any problems similar to this one (i.e. Windows starts, but it freezes within 1-3 seconds, except for the mouse). We suspect that this could be a platform issue. To test this, we suggest you disable SVM in BIOS, perform a clean driver installation using the DDU uninstaller in safe mode, and then reboot to install 101.4314.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Neo-Freeman
Beginner

For my part here, i dont have a SVM Bios option (or it called differently on MSI boards) other then that i disabled all virtualisation features. also used DDU everytime i tested one of the 43xx driver versions.

and it doesnt matter if issue did not pop up here with these driver versions. the problem is why did this happen with these driver version.

(btw. i messaged your intel gaming twitter account about this problem on the day where the first 43xx driver reached the public)

what has changed in these drivers to let this happen to some users. and why such a conflict with with windows itself and UAC.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Neo-Freeman,

We understand that the SVM option is not available on your motherboard BIOS. We would recommend you contact MSI support to confirm how to find the SVM in their BIOS settings or if it is called differently.

We will wait to check the response from @mariodev. Also, we would like to recommend you open a personal thread with a detailed explanation of the situation to have a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue. If you'd like, you can try my suggestions from this thread. Note that if the original poster stops responding, we will close the thread.

Best Regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
mariodev
Beginner

Hello @Jean_Intel,
unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

After removing the driver software via DDU, only the right monitor worked with a poor resolution.

After the reboot I tried to install the latest driver.

Suddenly the right monitor went off and the left one showed a picture with good resolution.

During the installation the PC froze, now when I reboot the PC freezes again as soon as it boots up within 3 seconds.

I took a picture where the installation stops and the PC freezes.

Best Regards,
Mario

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello mariodev,

After attempting to resolve the issue by uninstalling the driver with SVM disabled and encountering an unsuccessful driver installation process, we suggest performing a fresh Operating System installation with SVM disabled to fully address the problem.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bort
Beginner

Hi Jean-

I am having the exact same issue as Mariodev.

Windows freezes except for the mouse about a minute after boot.  

I used DDU to remove the driver in safe mode and everything works fine with the onboard intel driver.  Then during Arc driver install it freezes during installation at the "uninstall audio" portion right after the graphic drivers are installed and then the problems resumes after reboot.

I have and Asus h97 Pro4 MB with an intel  i7 -4770 cpu which does not support resizeable-bar.

My arc a770 was working fine for months until this recent driver update.

0 Kudos
Bort
Beginner

Also, here is a link from Intel saying that resizeable bar is NOT a requirement for using the Arc graphics card https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/my-intel/profile.html

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Bort That link is incorrect.  It displays your profile.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Bort
Beginner
0 Kudos
mariodev
Beginner
Hello,
Sorry but I do not reinstall my system for a driver update.
How should I explain this to my friends who are just normal users without PC knowledge?

Best regards
0 Kudos
Pointerflow
Beginner

Hey, I found this issue and it seems to be related to my issue with exact the same problem. Did u find a solution how to fix it? 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Pointerflow Fix your link.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Pointerflow
Beginner
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Bort,

A system without Rezisable BAR can work with Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics. However, Resizable BAR must be supported/enabled for optimal performance in all applications using Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Bort
Beginner

Jean-

It did work find until the recent driver update.  You mentioned in a post that it wont work without resizeable bar as that is a requirement for arc 770.  I sent you a link from intel saying that is NOT a requirement.

For the record I went back to an old December 2022 version of drive that I had downloaded and its workign again.

Something with this April Drive update clearly broke functionaltiy for computers that do not support resizeable bar, which I have sent a link that shows is NOT a requirement.

0 Kudos