Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

[ACPI] Processor Register Block access

medinad
Beginner
Hello,
I came from processor's forum at Intel Support Community where they cannot resolve my problem, and send me here.

I am playing with the acpi specification and a basic OS. I would like to implement some acpi functions over this OS. One of them is the processor control (throttling). It is managed thought the Processor Register Block (P_BLK). but I can not find a way to locate this register block.

I saw intel and ACPI web page (acpi.info). I downloaded the specification from last one.

I am working at a low level programing (C) read/writing into the registers, not the specification's ASL or AML. And I am starting with the acpi component architecture (ACPICA), but I do not found the throttling configuration in it.

The OS I am working with is MaRTE OS (http://marte.unican.es), a Hard RTOS with a Minimal RT POSIX.13 subset. I am working at a low level programing (C) read/writing into the registers, not the specification's ASL or AML. And I am starting with the acpi component architecture (ACPICA), but I do not found the throttling configuration in it.

I would like to know how to locate this register block (P_BLK). Not how to use it (by now).

Thank you.
Daniel M.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - medinad
Hello,
I came from processor's forum at Intel Support Community where they cannot resolve my problem, and send me here.

I am playing with the acpi specification and a basic OS. I would like to implement some acpi functions over this OS. One of them is the processor control (throttling). It is managed thought the Processor Register Block (P_BLK). but I can not find a way to locate this register block.

I saw intel and ACPI web page (acpi.info). I downloaded the specification from last one.

I am working at a low level programing (C) read/writing into the registers, not the specification's ASL or AML. And I am starting with the acpi component architecture (ACPICA), but I do not found the throttling configuration in it.

The OS I am working with is MaRTE OS (http://marte.unican.es), a Hard RTOS with a Minimal RT POSIX.13 subset. I am working at a low level programing (C) read/writing into the registers, not the specification's ASL or AML. And I am starting with the acpi component architecture (ACPICA), but I do not found the throttling configuration in it.

I would like to know how to locate this register block (P_BLK). Not how to use it (by now).

Thank you.
Daniel M.

Hello Daniel,

Unfortunately we cannot help you here either - we support developers who are working with Intel Active Management Technology. You might want to send your question to the Intel support email.

--Gael
0 Kudos
medinad
Beginner
Quoting - medinad
Hello,

Thank you.
Daniel M.

Hello Daniel,

Unfortunately we cannot help you here either - we support developers who are working with Intel Active Management Technology. You might want to send your question to the Intel support email.

--Gael

Hi,

Sorry, I feel a little confused about Intel Forums.

And thanks about your suggestion.

Regards. Daniel.
0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - medinad
Sorry, I feel a little confused about Intel Forums.
And thanks about your suggestion.
Regards. Daniel.

Hi Daniel...
Do try the excellent suggestion by Gael, but I would not discard the ISN forums completely.

Why don't you try other forumsfrom the ISN Forums page?
You can try either the multi core (Threading on Parallel Architectures) forum, like John S suggested, or maybe the CPU Instructions forum.
It is worth to try -- they may not know the answer, but maybe they can give you yet another direction or suggestion :).

Good luck!
0 Kudos
medinad
Beginner

Hi Daniel...
Do try the excellent suggestion by Gael, but I would not discard the ISN forums completely.

Why don't you try other forumsfrom the ISN Forums page?
You can try either the multi core (Threading on Parallel Architectures) forum, like John S suggested, or maybe the CPU Instructions forum.
It is worth to try -- they may not know the answer, but maybe they can give you yet another direction or suggestion :).

Good luck!

Thank you.

I found a new kind of registers that allow me do what I want.
MSR that could be read with RDMSR and write WRMSR (It was hard to me find how to use that registers).

registers are: IA32_CLOCK_MODULATION, IA32_MPERF and IA32_APERF.

Thanks.
Daniel M.
0 Kudos