Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Accessing 3PDS locally at the boot loader

ravanrip
Beginner
I have read through the storage and design doc for the 3PDS (data storage) and some of the forums on here but still don't have a clear answer on whether the 3PDS can be read/written to locally (ie from the machine that has the amt installed). My question is if it can be done locally could I do this via the API within the boot loader with some patching to grub ? The api and sample code seem to rely on network access, doubtful the network is available if we are sitting at a boot loader prompt... ?

Ideally i'd like to read some data from the 3PDS prior to loading a kernel.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee
Hi,
In order to leverage the 3PDS storage provided in Intel AMT, you will need to first set it up to use locally and remotely. Once you do the initial setup, authorized applications can then write/read locally/remotely.

Now, if you want to access the 3PDS locally, you will need to have the Management Engine Interface (MEI) driver installed. For local access, there is no need for network connectivity. So, the usage model you described in your question about using it from the boot loader might be possible if you have the driver loaded in the environment. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Thanks,
AI

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee
Hi,
In order to leverage the 3PDS storage provided in Intel AMT, you will need to first set it up to use locally and remotely. Once you do the initial setup, authorized applications can then write/read locally/remotely.

Now, if you want to access the 3PDS locally, you will need to have the Management Engine Interface (MEI) driver installed. For local access, there is no need for network connectivity. So, the usage model you described in your question about using it from the boot loader might be possible if you have the driver loaded in the environment. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Thanks,
AI
0 Kudos
ravanrip
Beginner
Thanks for the response, ideally I'd like to access the AMT 3PDS locally. My target is to modify the C code for something like the GRUB bootloader and have it prior to booting access the 3PDS. Is the ME driver you mention have source code to include in my project, or a linux compatible (shared library) that I could link with?

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

You wont like this answer. We havethe drivers on www.openamt.orgbut they are no longer officially supported from Intel. You can take a chance with those.

Thanks,
AI

0 Kudos