Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Changing BIOS Administrator password with AT (Not the ME password)

courchea
Beginner
Hi,

I currently have a working setup with AMT using the samples provided in the SDK.

I am looking for a method to allow me to change the system BIOS Administrator password. This is the core BIOS Administrator passsword, not the ME password I want to change.

Anyone knows of a method to do this?

Thanks,

Andre Courchesne
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

AMT does not interact with Bios administrator password.

For more info on AMT vs ME passwords, you can refer to http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/12/18/the-abcs-of-intel-amtme-passwords/

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
feyd
Beginner

you should search for it at io index port 0x72 and data port 0x73, user password starts at offset 0x018 and superuser starts at 0x010. Those passwords are probaply hashed with shift operator.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
I have a another idea for how to do this. Try remotly booting into the BIOS using Serial-over-LAN and change your super admin password this way. If it works for your BIOS and you want to do this on a lot of computer, use Intel AMT Commander's serial-over-LAN scripting to automaticaly do it! It's pretty amazing to watch. You can also launch IAmtTerm.exe from the command line and auto-start a script making it easy to batch lots of computers.

My latest blog entry talks about Serial-over-LAN scripting, great for testing and to do all sort of things.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos