Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Edit Client's BIOS remotely - Intel AMT 1.0

sawguan
Beginner

Hi all,

I am currently trying to edit some BIOS configuration remotely via my server which runs on Windows Server 2003 and using LANDesk Management Suite 8.7 (trial only).

Any methods for me to perform this using LANDesk or there are specific tools needed for this?

*Extra Note: My client is a 945GM supporting Intel AMT 1.0 only.

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Hello,

Normally Serial-Over-Lan activities are accomplished in conjunction with the IMRGUI tool that is part of the SDK (it is in the bin folder.) There are also documents that further discuss SOL and IDE-R in the docs folder.

--GTH

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Thanks GTH.

As what you replied, i need an Intel AMT SDK in order to use the IMRGUI.exe tool (hope i got this right). I tried to search all over the internet but i only managed to find AMT v2 related stuff and not v1.

That's sad.

Regards,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Since I am not familiar with the capabilities of the Landesk Management Suite, you may want to see if this tool provides that capability with AMT 1.0 systems. Unforntunately, I do not have much experience with AMT 1.0 capabilities but maybe someone else on this forum does and could offer some advice.

GTH

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Thanks for spendingyour time to reply.

0 Kudos
ylianst
Beginner

Hi there,

The IAMT 2.0 SDK (and the soon to be released 2.1 SDK) should work ok with IAMT 1.0 machines. Of course, there are more features in 2.0, but the documentation will tell you which calls are IAMT 2.0 specific. My main development machine is IAMT 1.0 and I have used the latest SDK to do Serial-over-LAN with it.

Ylian
Intel Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Jia-Shing_W_Intel
Using SOL to remotely control a system is supported by most if not all current ISV applications claiming AMT support. AMT SDK provides backward compatibility support, so if an ISV software claims it supports AMT2, then it should work on AMT1 systems as well. Of course, new AMT2 features are available only AMT2 systems. LANDesk Management Suite user's manul should be able to tell you how this can be done.
0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Hi guys,

Did you alluse LANDeskto remote control an iAMT enable client during out-of-band mode (eg: Editing BIOS)? I tried out using AMT SDK and it works but i'm wondering whether LANDesk supports this or not.

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

You would need to look at the LANDesk documentation and see if it is adverstised to work. If it is supposed to do this, but doesn't you would need to contact LANDesk. We willbe posting a utility to the Manageability site early in 2007 that you could use to check to see if features work or not and since it is our product you will also be able to communicate with us directly if you think there are problems with it.

GTH

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Hi jwang34,

I saw the statement saying that AMT SDK provides backward compatibily support as well. But when I tested it out on my platform (945), therewere few errors shown. One of themwas SOAP error.

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Steven_W_Intel
Employee

SawGuan,

Can you please respond with the errors you are receiving and which (945) system are you using? Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Steve Williams

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Steve,

The error reported sounds like this:
"SOAP failure : error code = 22"

there is another error when i try to Open SOL session:
"SOL was not found in the AMT capabilities list and is unavailable"

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Jia-Shing_W_Intel

SawGuan,

What 945 system are you using, from what vendor and what is the model number? Did you always have this problem or did it only happen occassionally? When would you see this SOAP failure with error code 22? Your answer can help us root cause the problem and solve your issue.

Thanks,

Jia-Shing

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Hi Jia-Shing,

I'm using 945GM, its actually customizedboard from a vendor. But it is not much different if compared to Calistoga. The SOAP failure error code 22 occurs everytime when i invokesome samples from Intel AMT Release 2.0.

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Jia-Shing_W_Intel

Hi SawGuan,

You are using Napa systems, sorry I didn't realize that earlier. I haven't personally played with any of those but I believe the basic idea is the same. At boot up, did you hit [Ctrl] +

to enter BIOS extension screen and then change password and configure all the settings? SOAP failure error code 22 means the authentication doesn't go through. If you are running the samples in SDK, did you use "-pass" argument to provide a password, a strong one? Try to use a browser to connect to your AMT system and see if it works, http://your_ip_address:16992/. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jia-Shing

0 Kudos
sawguan
Beginner

Hi Jia-Shing,

Yes, during boot up i hit [CTRL] +

to enter AMT BIOS. I changed my password (a strong one) and i change the address as well. I tried using my web browser to connect to http://my_ip_address:16992 and it works. But the SOAP failure error code 22 still exist.

Thanks,
SawGuan

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

When you enter your command you may need to also enter -user admin -pass

Whenever I get that error it is because I have forgotten to enter the -pass and -user command options.

GTH

0 Kudos