Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Error executing the AMTRedirection sample

ahju
Beginner

Hi,

I execute the AMTRedirection sample in SDK4.0 but I receive an error message.

The error messageis IMR_RES_INVALID_PARAMETERandreturned by IMR_Init(NULL, "MC_RedTool.ini") API. I have checked the error message in SDK, it may be cause by the user name or password exceed the limited length. But the user name and password length I enter are both less then 32.

It return successfully when Ichange the IMR_Init(NULL, "MC_RedTool.ini") to IMR_Init(NULL, NULL).

The AMT device is configed by SMB, and the AMT version is 3.0.2.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - ahju

Hi,

I execute the AMTRedirection sample in SDK4.0 but I receive an error message.

The error messageis IMR_RES_INVALID_PARAMETERandreturned by IMR_Init(NULL, "MC_RedTool.ini") API. I have checked the error message in SDK, it may be cause by the user name or password exceed the limited length. But the user name and password length I enter are both less then 32.

It return successfully when Ichange the IMR_Init(NULL, "MC_RedTool.ini") to IMR_Init(NULL, NULL).

The AMT device is configed by SMB, and the AMT version is 3.0.2.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

Ahju,

Another possibility is that the ini file specified (MC_Redtool.ini) does not exist in the same place that the executable does. If you specify the file as NULL, it's perfectly valid and the library will use the default settings. If you want to specify the values (section 3.3 of the Redirection Library Design Guide pdf shows what values you can use), make sure that the ini file can be found by the redirection sample. If you just use the file name the ini file must be in the same location as the redirection executable, but you should be able to use an absolute or relative path as well.

Andy

0 Kudos
ahju
Beginner

Ahju,

Another possibility is that the ini file specified (MC_Redtool.ini) does not exist in the same place that the executable does. If you specify the file as NULL, it's perfectly valid and the library will use the default settings. If you want to specify the values (section 3.3 of the Redirection Library Design Guide pdf shows what values you can use), make sure that the ini file can be found by the redirection sample. If you just use the file name the ini file must be in the same location as the redirection executable, but you should be able to use an absolute or relative path as well.

Andy

Thanks Andy

It execute successfully when I use the full path.

And now there is another question. The same error IMR_RES_INVALID_PARAMETER returned when executed the IMR_IDEROpenTCPSessionEx API, and I sure all the paramers I entered are right. And what is wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

It depends, what parameters did you enter? :) Offhand there are a few things that might be a problem, but if you post details I can make a more educated guess.

Andy

0 Kudos
ahju
Beginner

It depends, what parameters did you enter? :) Offhand there are a few things that might be a problem, but if you post details I can make a more educated guess.

Andy

Hi,

I found what is wrong. And the following information record what I enter.

a: Open SOL Session
b: Close SOL Session
c: Open IDER Session
d: Close IDER Session
e: Regular boot
f: SOL boot
g: SOL boot to BIOS setup
h: IDER Floppy boot
i: IDER CD boot
j: SOL + IDER Floppy boot
k: SOL + IDER CD boot.
m: enable Redirection listener
n: disable Redirection listener
l: Display Menu Option
x: Exit

choose an option> c
Do you want to read from a floppy disk or from an image file?(f/i) i

Enter image file name>A:
Do you want to read from a CD or from an ISO file?(c/i) c

Enter cdrom device>F:
PT_STATUS_SUCCESS: The request succeeded.
choose an option> i

Error: failed while calling IDER CD boot.

Status = 2051
PT_STATUS_INVALID_COMMAND: The command specified in the remote control command i
s not supported by the Intel AMT device.

And there are two questions:

1.why I have to enter "A:" as a file name when I select read from an image?(this line:Enter image file name>A:. The IMR_IDEROpenTCPSessionEx API will return error if I don't enter A: )

2.Istheerror:

Error: failed while calling IDER CD boot.

Status = 2051
PT_STATUS_INVALID_COMMAND: The command specified in the remote control command i
s not supported by the Intel AMT device.

means the version of the AMT device does not supported IDER CD boot? But itexecute successfullywhen I power on the computer which had the AMT device.

The version of the AMT device I am using is 3.0.2, and the AMT is configed by SMB.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Looks like you are almost there with the sample. As for your two questions:

1. When you chose image file, the next argument is expecting the path to a valid *.img file for use as the bootable image by the IDER session. That is why you get an error if you leave the field blank, it's expecting an argument here. However, it will only check the value entered if you choose option h, to boot from a floppy. That's why as long as you put A: in, it works, even if there is not a valid img file there.

2. As for why you are getting an error when trying to perform an IDER boot from CD, do you have a bootable CD image in the F: on the system you are running AMTRedirection sample from? The error codes are sometimes misleading with some of the samples. If your AMT system is setup in SMB mode, IDE redirect should be enabled by default (you can check by going to the WebUI for the AMT system). You can also confirm that the Redirection Listener is enabled by calling the RedirectionConfig sample in the same directory, just use RedirectionConfig with the -g option.

0 Kudos