Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

How can i tell the difference between hibernate state and power off state?

whflq1
Beginner
I want to get remote pc's state, by using ExecuteGetSystemPowerstate() under the SDK5.0. However, the return value, response.SystemPowerState, is 5 in both hibernate state and power off state.
How can i tell the difference between these two state? When the computer in hibernate state, how can i get a correct return value. Is that value will be 4?
i knew the value is 0 when the computer is working, and the value is 3 when the computer is sleeping or in standby state.i can got the value correctly in that 3 conditions by using ExecuteGetSystemPowerstate() under the SDK5.0.

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - whflq1
I want to get remote pc's state, by using ExecuteGetSystemPowerstate() under the SDK5.0. However, the return value, response.SystemPowerState, is 5 in both hibernate state and power off state.
How can i tell the difference between these two state? When the computer in hibernate state, how can i get a correct return value. Is that value will be 4?
i knew the value is 0 when the computer is working, and the value is 3 when the computer is sleeping or in standby state.i can got the value correctly in that 3 conditions by using ExecuteGetSystemPowerstate() under the SDK5.0.

thanks.

Hi whflq1,

Look at the WebUI from your AMT system, or get the DTK and look at the power state when you do a hibernate, and see if those sources show the state as S4 correctly. If either of those sources show an S4 as being an S4, then that means that the BIOS on your system isn't correctly updating the power state registers on a hibernate.

Later,
Roger
0 Kudos
whflq1
Beginner
Quoting - rogerb

Hi whflq1,

Look at the WebUI from your AMT system, or get the DTK and look at the power state when you do a hibernate, and see if those sources show the state as S4 correctly. If either of those sources show an S4 as being an S4, then that means that the BIOS on your system isn't correctly updating the power state registers on a hibernate.

Later,
Roger

The DTK shows the state as S5 when i do a hibernate. What can i do now?
thanks
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - whflq1

thanks.

If the DTK shows the powerstate as S5 when you do a hibernate, then the problem is in your system BIOS. When the system goes into S4 the BIOS is supposed to set the contents of a register to let AMT know that the system is in S4 instead of S5, because from a system point of view there is no difference between the two powerstates. So, it looks like you should contact your system vendor and report an issue with the way that they save the powerstate.
0 Kudos