Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

IDER and Linux - Anyone had any luck?

inbrian
Beginner
Since my last post here I've managed to figure out how to reboot a machine remotely as well as use IDER and SOL. Now I'm trying to boot linux using IDER. I've tried several distributions with no luck. It is looking like they are not finding the IDER device. Is there something that needs to be done for the device to be picked up? Maybe a kernel parameter?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee
Quoting - inbrian
Since my last post here I've managed to figure out how to reboot a machine remotely as well as use IDER and SOL. Now I'm trying to boot linux using IDER. I've tried several distributions with no luck. It is looking like they are not finding the IDER device. Is there something that needs to be done for the device to be picked up? Maybe a kernel parameter?

If you haven't seen this Blog post, you may want to take a look. It has some information on resources to help with Linux and AMT.
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hi Lance,

Any ideas about IDER? Most of the info that you pointed to talks a lot about SOL, but I've had problems getting Linux to recognize the IDER CD and Floppy devices. I've tried to boot a system remotely from SOL using a Knoppix and a TRK ISO image, but both of them hang when they try to find an ATAPI CD-ROM. Any ideas about how to set this up?

Thanks,
Roger
0 Kudos
inbrian
Beginner
It seems that my kernel is picking up the IDER device. However, no driver is loaded for it. Currently trying to figure out how to force it to load a generic ide driver if I can.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find more.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Just to clarify:
- Are you running the IDER requests from Linux?
- Is the image file you are trying to remotely boot a Linux image?
- On which system are the issues occuring?
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hi Lance,

No, the request isn't being run from Linux. The request is from AMT Commander and other tools that can host an SOL and IDER session. The image to be booted is a Linux image. Two that I've tried are Knoppix and the Trinity Rescue Kit (TRK). I haven't been able to get either of these to boot on any of our HP notebook systems through SOL/IDER. When both of the images come up they start to look for an ATAPI CD device, and timeout having not been able to find one. I was told that the ISO image that comes with the REM SDK is a linux image that boots, but I haven't had a chance to delve into it to see how it works.

Regards,
Roger

0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks Roger.

Yes, the Remote Encryption Management SDK does use a Linux image.
You may want to try this using thisimage from the sdk(./bin/atabridge.iso) and take a look at the Linux codeprovided inthe linux-sources folder.

I'm still looking for someone that has used a standardLinux image with IDER, but I will also try to get in touch with the Remote Encryption Management team.
0 Kudos