Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Intel® vPro™ Platform Solution Manager Crashing on Connect

George_B_
Beginner

I am trying to use the Intel® vPro™ Platform Solution Manager to connect to a machine. 

I enter all the machine data including IP address, username, and password, but when I press connect(or let it autoconnect) I see the following error and the program crashes.

Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     Source: HLAPI
Stack Trace:    at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessWSMAN.GetLinkPolicy()
   at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessManager.GetWiFiLinkPolicy()
   at HLAPI.GeneralInfo.GeneralInfoManager.RemoveWirelessIfNotSupported(List`1& supportedFeatures)
   at HLAPI.GeneralInfo.GeneralInfoManager.GetSupportedFeatures()
   at Intel.Manageability.Impl.AMTInstanceManager.get_SupportedFeatures()
   at Intel.Ucrd.vProPlatformSolutionManager.Controls.CtrlSystem.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ConnectEx>b__9()

I have not modified the source code, nor do I intend to. This is from a fresh download and install.  I have .NET 3.5 and 4.1 installed and enabled. In fact I am meeting all the requirements listed here  https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=HTMLDocuments%2Fintelvproplatformsolutionmanager.htm

I have configured AMT and tested with both the web-ui-control panel and remotely logging in via VNCplus.

I cannot figure out why the manager keeps crashing.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
25 Replies
George_B_
Beginner

Here is the exception detail.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException was unhandled
  Message=Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  Source=mscorlib
  StackTrace:
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
       at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
       at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
       at System.Windows.Application.Run()
       at Intel.Ucrd.vProPlatformSolutionManager.App.Main()
  InnerException: System.NullReferenceException
       Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       Source=HLAPI
       StackTrace:
            at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessWSMAN.GetLinkPolicy()
            at HLAPI.GeneralInfo.GeneralInfoManager.RemoveWirelessIfNotSupported(List`1& supportedFeatures)
            at Intel.Ucrd.vProPlatformSolutionManager.Controls.CtrlSystem.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ConnectEx>b__9()
       InnerException: 

0 Kudos
jamesartflores
Beginner

I am getting the error also, I ran a repair of .NET Framework 4.5 and this didn't help. Below is the error I am getting.

Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source: HLAPI

Stack Trace:    at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessWSMAN.GetLinkPolicy()

at Intel.Ucrd.vProPlatformSolutionManager.Controls.CtrlSystem.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ConnectEx>b__9() in D:\TFSSandbox\31\ISDC_SDK\AMT vPro Platform Solution\11634\Sources\src\vPro Platform Solution\Source\SolutionManagerWPF\Controls\CtrlSystem.xaml.cs:line 284

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

What version of AMT do your systems have?  Have you set up a wireless profile?

0 Kudos
George_B_
Beginner

I have AMT SCS version 9.0.23.10 

Bios Extension 9.0.0.0024

ME 9.0.10.1372

I have not set up a wireless profile. All my devices are connected by LAN to routers which communicate by cell network.

On some of my machines I am seeing an error while using the ACU. I get the error "ConnectServer: A call to this function has failed - (0xc000278b) (Invalid namespace -2147217394)" but ACU exits with success saying I am in client control mode and I can connect with VNC, remote web control, and set the AMT alarm clock.  

When I run the platform solution manager I can see it start to connect, read out a version number, then I get this crash info.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello George - I have escalated this issue. The team is actually root-causing this as others are experiencing this as well.

0 Kudos
George_B_
Beginner

Where can I expect to see information about this now that it has been escalated?

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

The problem has been duplicated and the developers are working to fix it.  I'm told that there will be a new release available once it is fixed.  I do not have a timeframe (sorry.)  

Gael

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Update:  The developers are working on a fix - no timeline yet for when a new release would be available.  However, the problem appears to be in the 32 bit version.  Would you be able to run the 64bit version on a 64bit OS?

Gael

0 Kudos
George_B_
Beginner

Hi Gael,

I just did a full uninstall reinstall of the 64 bit version on my 64 bit Windows 7 OS and I am still seeing the same error. I did previously have the 32 bit version installed. 

64 bit did not solve this issue for me.

Thanks,

George B

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Ok - I will report that back to the developers.

0 Kudos
RChen66
Beginner

Hello Gael et. al,

I simply wanted to report that I am getting the same Exception error as OP when trying to connect to a device using vPro Platform Solution Manager v1.0.0.11634

I have no problem to connect to and manage the device through WebUI if I use browser to access "http://hostname:16992"

I get the same error regardless of if I am running vPro PSM in Win8.1x64 or Win7x86.

There seems to be no difference whether I configured the AMT using software ACUWizard, or within MEBx.

MEBx version: 8.0.0.0061

FW version: 8.0.4.1441

Intel SCS version: 9.1.0

LAN: WG82579LM

Regards

-Russell

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Update - I'm being told that there may be a new version to download within the next few days.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

There is a new version out there.  Please let us know if it is working for you:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22183

0 Kudos
George_B_
Beginner

This is working excellently!

My only question is if there could be a way to have the KVM start without user consent. In my profile I have it set up to do that, If we could have a radio button for with/without consent and the separate password that would be a great addition since AMT supports that.

Also, does it only recognize alarm clocks set through the manager? I could not see alarms I set up using powershell scripts locally.

Thank you!

George Brabon

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

That's great! (on the VPSM)  For KVM, it matters which mode the system is provisioned for (Admin vs Client.).  I believe that there is also an option in the MEBx menus that you need to set for whether or not it is required.

From the AMT SDK Implementation and Reference guide:  (Search for "User Consent")

In Client Control mode, user consent is always required. In Admin Control mode, user consent can be disabled (subject to the AMT_GeneralSettings.PrivacyLevel property). When user consent is enabled, attempting to initiate a redirection session (IDE-R or KVM) or to set a boot option causes a Sprite containing a User Consent Code to be displayed to the user. The user will have to provide this code to the remote IT administrator to enter the Consent Code to gain access. Once the correct Consent Code is entered, it enables all types of redirection sessions.

See User Consent for the commands and flows used to manage the user consent feature.

As for the Alarm clock, we are verifying this.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Re the Intel AMT alarm clock. 

The AMT alarm clock can be set by any of the AMT tools (including Intel PSM), but doesn't recognize any settings from non AMT tools like powershell. Also be aware that with AMT 8 there are 5 additional new alarms which are set differently and older tools are not aware of these new alarms. More information is available here: AMT Implementation and Reference Guide.

0 Kudos
RChen66
Beginner

Ditto, KVM is working for me as well in the new version! Thanks all around for the help.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for letting us know!

0 Kudos
RChen66
Beginner

Hello again,
After successfully testing vPro PSM to remotely manage AMT clients, I had provided instructions to my customer to do the same. However, during his testing he found that "VNC Plus KVM Viewer" was grayed out. I was perplexed by this as I had no such problem even after trying afresh with a new re-installation and re-configuration. I can confirm that his client machine has AMT configured to allow KVM access.

We are both using the same motherboard/BIOS/CPU with only major difference being the amount of RAM. We have both tried Win7x86 and Win7x64 versions with vProPSM on the server-side.
Please see the attached screenshot of my customer's server machine; he can successfully connect and control the client machine using WebUI--but requires KVM video output to access the client machine's BIOS.

MEBx version: 8.0.0.0061
FW version: 8.0.4.1441
Intel SCS version: 9.1.0
LAN: WG82579LM

Thank you and regards,
-Russell

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

2 questions: 1. Have you tried the 32 bit version (if you are using the 64 bit)?
2. Is there any chance another client is using the viewer?

0 Kudos