Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Intel® vPro™ Platform Solution Manager Crashing on Connect

George_B_
Beginner

I am trying to use the Intel® vPro™ Platform Solution Manager to connect to a machine. 

I enter all the machine data including IP address, username, and password, but when I press connect(or let it autoconnect) I see the following error and the program crashes.

Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     Source: HLAPI
Stack Trace:    at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessWSMAN.GetLinkPolicy()
   at HLAPI.Wireless.WirelessManager.GetWiFiLinkPolicy()
   at HLAPI.GeneralInfo.GeneralInfoManager.RemoveWirelessIfNotSupported(List`1& supportedFeatures)
   at HLAPI.GeneralInfo.GeneralInfoManager.GetSupportedFeatures()
   at Intel.Manageability.Impl.AMTInstanceManager.get_SupportedFeatures()
   at Intel.Ucrd.vProPlatformSolutionManager.Controls.CtrlSystem.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ConnectEx>b__9()

I have not modified the source code, nor do I intend to. This is from a fresh download and install.  I have .NET 3.5 and 4.1 installed and enabled. In fact I am meeting all the requirements listed here  https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=HTMLDocuments%2Fintelvproplatformsolutionmanager.htm

I have configured AMT and tested with both the web-ui-control panel and remotely logging in via VNCplus.

I cannot figure out why the manager keeps crashing.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Also please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/08/08/intel-kvm-port-requirements-and-troubleshooting-tips and
make sure the systems are using their Integrated Graphics and not add in or auxiliary graphics. 

0 Kudos
RChen66
Beginner

1) Yes, he had tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of vPro Platform Solution Manager on two different workstations within the same network.
2) No, we had considered the VNC license a possible issue; but he had never installed it before. So he should at least be eligible for the 60-day trial

I think a key bit of info that I left out is: he does not even have the option to install the VNC KVM Viewer plugin.

So I've just setup and configured a new AMT client again using an external video card and my workstation was still able to see the option to install VNC plugin. After the installation, I am unable to successfully connect on the KVM Viewer, as expected.
However, my customer's problem is that he has not and can not even install the VNC plugin to begin with. So he hasn't gotten so far as to even begin testing KVM redirection yet. But I am guessing that the issue is not related to configuration because his Power Management, IDE Redirection plugins are working correctly.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

I'm checking with Intel Business Support on this. 

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Please check their processor and chipset on the failing systems. Thanks to Intel Biz Support for mentioning that the screen shot is showing only Standard Manageability and not full Intel®  vPro Technology. Intel®  Standard Manageability does not include KVM support.

0 Kudos
RChen66
Beginner

Got it. My customer was indeed using the non-vPro variant i7-3770K while my system was using i7-3770 with full vPro support. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thank you for the help, Colleen, and please also extend my thanks to your Intel Business Support team.

0 Kudos