Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Issue with IDER with AMT 6.1.1 version

Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Folks,

I have run into a strange machine where i am facing issue with the IDER mode. Here is the scenario

- I am trying to boot my machine on Linux mode by using the Intel GRT Tool and using the SOL mode to load the Linux frrom a remote machine using IDER.

I was able to get this successfully done when i was using the AMT 3.x version where the system was able to boot in Linux mode when the system was powered off or when it was powered on. (Tool is being executed with ResetorPowerUp Flag)

But now when i have upgraded the AMT on a machine to version 6.1 i am not able to load the linux image when the system is in a powered on state (in XP mode). The system does go down and tries to boot up and fails with a screen message saying not able to find the right media.

Could you please let me know if there is any known issue with AMT 6.1 version or is there something that has changed between the versions which i have to handle it differently. The GRT version used is 2.2.21

Plesae find the commmand used to execute.

GRT.exe -h -u admin -p 12!@qwQW -s Ider.xml

Snaphot of the XML used :

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Hi there - I'm sorry but I am not at all familiar with this GRT tool that you are referring to. Do you have a windows box that you could try this on with the DTK? How old is it? The AMT Firmware has gone through some changes in it's interface from Release 3 to Release 6. It is possible that it is calling APIs that were depricated in Release 6.x (but without knowing anything about this tool I can't really comment for sure.)
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Gael,

This Tool works on one of the Hardware with the same configuration but it does not work with a similar hardware configuration. The BIOS setting and the AMT Configuration seems to be all the same. So i wanted to know if there are some special knobs that needs to be turned ON to get this working on the other hardware.

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Ok - then I think I would need to see the xml from the SCS Discovery, if you can get that kind of info from a linux box.
Make sure all the AMT Setting inside the BIOs are enabled and in the MEBx maybe you need to enable the Legacy mode for Redirection?
Under Compter Management - for Remote Desktops, is the system able to accept being controlled by remote systems? If this setting isn't enabled, I know that KVM won't work; possible redirection too.
SOL only likes text base inputs - it's not graphical - you don't have a graphical interface on this other system?
Can you bring up the DTK and check the settings and see if things work using this tool? That way if it actually works in one area we will have to start looking at other possibilities.
Is the port that redirection wants to use already being used by another program?
Is the firmware up to date with the latest firmware from your OEM's support site?
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Gael,

This is a windows box. can you give me the steps to get the SCS Discovery XML and i can get it for you from both the setups, the one working and the one having issue.

Yes i have enabled the Legacy Mode for Redirection on these devices.

Yes, it is able to accept being controlled by remote systems.

I will try runnning this tool with the DTK and let you know my findings. I had run it on the system that had been working fine. Let me try it on this one.

I dont think the port is being used as i am able to open the AMT console using the port 16992.

Yes, i have updated the firmware to the latest available for that motherboard from the OEM site.

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Gael,

I did try it with the DTK and the issue is seen even with this tool.

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Gael,

Any thoughts about this issue and what could be going wrong? I checked the BIOS configurations of both machines and they are identical.

Please let me know how i could get the SCS Discovery XML generated and i can share those details with you and see if that helps us resolve this issue.,

Thanks!

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Issue with IDER with AMT 6.1.1 version

Hi Gael,

I did try it with the DTK and the issue is seen even with this tool.

Any thoughts about this issue and what could be going wrong? I checked the BIOS configurations of both machines and they are identical.

Please let me know how i could get the SCS Discovery XML generated and i can share those details with you and see if that helps us resolve this issue.,

Thanks!

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi - Here is my blog on running the SCS Discovery Tool.

How to run the SCS Discovery Tool

Have you tried the IMRSDK tool that is in the SDK?
What are you redirecting to? and ISO image? A CD? A DVD? Which OS is on your boot image? And are your boot options on your AMT Client set appropriately?
I'm sorry for the delay - I am at a conference this week so my responses will be delayed.
0 Kudos
Praveen_Pai
Beginner
Hi Gael,

I was redirecting to an ISO image that i have. Boot on Image is a Linux OS and yes the boot options have been set appropriately.

I will try the SCS discovery tool and share the results with you soon.

Regards
Praveen
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Hi Praveen,
I apologize for the delay - The only thing that I have come up with regarding your issue is perhaps you have not setup your ttys0 or ttys1 device for SOL SOL/IDER operations. Check out the last paragraph of this blog.
Hopefully this will help. If not, there is a device setting in the DTK - maybe play with that?
0 Kudos