Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Manageability Outpost Tool

john7944
Beginner
Hi all,
I was running into a problem trying to connect to my AMT locally using the Oupost Tool. I have solved this issue and would like to share what I had to do to make it work:
I am using a Dell Optiplex 980 (Q57 Express Chipset) running Windows 7 64-bit. I was able to connect to my AMT using the Commander Tool on a remote machine. I was also able to connect using the web browser UI.
I uninstalled all the Intel and Dell MEI drivers/programs and ran Windows Update. I then installed the suggested MEI package. Using Outpost I wen to File > Certificate Manager... and selected "Import...". I now had the option to import "Trusted Root Certificates.pem". After doing this I was able to connect locally to my AMT. Every time I restart Outpost I need to import this certificate to be able to make a good connection.
I hope this helps anyone else that runs into the same problem.
Steve
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Judy_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your post and thanks for sharing what you have discovered with everyone else. I'm going to pass along this post to the DTK team so they will know there was an issue and the work around found.

Cheers,
Judy
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Oh this is interesting. When using Outpost to load a certificate, it's supposed to load it in your personnal Windows certificate store on your Windows account. So it's not loading it in any private storage Outpost has... I am going to check this... but it's supposed to stick.
Ylian
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
I just tried Outpost from the OpenDTK and when importing a certificate, closing and going back into Outpost... I still see it in the certificate manager.
So, if you import a certificate, close Outpost and re-open it, the certificate is not present anymore?
Thanks,
Ylian
0 Kudos
john7944
Beginner
When I import a certificate, close and reopen Outpost I do not see the imported certificate anymore. I need to import again before using Outpost.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
I don't know if this blog will help you but maybe check it out: How to create AMT Certificates using the AMT SDK and OpenSSL
Gael
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
John7944,
Are you still having issues with your certificates not showing up when you open the Commander again? If I don't hear anything soon, I will close this issue.
Thanks,
Gael
0 Kudos
john7944
Beginner
Using a Dell Latitude D810 running Windows XP SP3 I still need to import certificates on each launch. Using a Dell Optiplex 980 running Windows 7 the certificates are retained.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Interesting... And you are using the DTK from the Community download page? Or are you using the Open DTK? (or did you try both?)
0 Kudos
john7944
Beginner
The Open DTK seems to work just fine. I have issues on both my machines using the Community download.
Also my laptop is a Dell Latitude E6510, not a D810 as I stated previously.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Good to know. Are you OK with switching over to the Open DTK?
And you are having issues using the Community Download of the Open DTK? or the Other DTK?
0 Kudos
john7944
Beginner
Yes.
Thank you for your assistance.
0 Kudos