Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Management Engine "ME error" during boot

juat
Beginner
I have an Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7700 based ASUS laptop (V1S) with GM965, 82801HBM (ICH8-M) motherboard. I have activated AMT, but didn't use it. I don't remember if I disabled it finally.

My problem is that during boot, after the POST screen, when the AMT part should say that 'press Ctrl+P' to enter, now there's a two lines header and a RED "ME error" message. It appears only for a couple of seconds.

Can anyone tell why can I get this error message, and whether a CMOS reset can really clear the problem? I believe I started to get this message after a Vista crash, and my date was wrong in the BIOS, but everything works fine (no virus, etc.), only I got devices in the Device manager related to AMT - I figured out (PCI bus 0, device 3, function 0).

Thanks, Attila
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gael_H_Intel
Did you correct the time in the BIOs? I'd also probably just look through any BIOs settings that are pertinent to AMT and make sure they are all still set correctly. Other than that, it sounds like a CMOS reset is in order.
0 Kudos
juat
Beginner
Thank you! Yes, I did correct the date. The date became wrong when the notebook crashed/rebooted.

Other than that I've disabled LAN boot now, there's not really more to have in BIOS for AMT.

Do you know any resource information location I can find how to reset the CMOS in a notebook (intro, photos, description)?!
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

I think you should contact the OEM for this.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
quetta
Beginner
I have a similar problem with my Intel DQ35MP motherboard and a Core2 Quad which I purchased recently. After installation, I have updated it to the latest BIOS and it was working fine. 2 days back when I started the system it gave an error message about communication to Intel ME . I have re-flashed the BIOS using BIOS recovery method and reset the ME to factory defaults but problem remained same and I am unable to logon to Intel ME in BIOS using factory defaults. It gives the following error every time I press the enter KEY to logon into ME part of BIOS.

ERROR, unable to communicate to Intel ME...Input Rejected....

I dont know what is the reason for this error and what could be the other possible solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Did you do a CMOS reset? For this, disconnect the power cord and LAN cable. Remove the CMOS battery for 15 secs and insert it back in. This time when you power on, ME settings will revert to factory defaults. The default user name and password is admin/admin. Please remember to change it to a strong password before configuring the ME further.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
quetta
Beginner
Hi Sree,

I did the CMOS reset as per your advice and I was able to access the ME menu successfully. smiley [:-)]

Thanks

imran
0 Kudos