Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Possibility to read/write bios parameter area?

kalinek
Beginner
Hello,

I'm exploring AMT technology for some time but I didn't find any hint on how to manage the BIOS Setup for my machines (AMT v3).

I think about a scenario to change some options in motherboard BIOS (like for example: bios password, turn on/off the intel me bios extension, ..) using amt. I know it could be possible when using Serial-Over-Lan feature, but it would not be too automated way of doing things. Is it possible to access these parameters in a programmatic way using the amt engine?

Next question is about BIOS upgrade once more - I cannot find this option in the machine's WebUI - should it be there? Or maybe I need to get some tools for it? Could you tell me which?

And when I get to the UI/tool for it - in what format should the firmware be in for me to upload it to upgrade remotely? Is it the same that I get from the mobo vendor and use to upgrade locally?

Cheers,
Jdrzej Kalinowski
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Trevor_Sullivan
Beginner
Well, all AMT is doing is providing access to the user interface used to manage BIOS settings. I'm not aware of any method of programmatically setting BIOS options using AMT.

That said, I believe that you can adjust BIOS settings through software (as well as deploy BIOS updates), such as Dell's OpenManage Client Instrumentation (OMCI). I've only done limited development around the OMCI (which is basically a WMI provider), but I know you can tweak some BIOS options through it.

Trevor Sullivan
Systems Engineer
OfficeMax Corporation

Quoting - kalinek
Hello,

I'm exploring AMT technology for some time but I didn't find any hint on how to manage the BIOS Setup for my machines (AMT v3).

I think about a scenario to change some options in motherboard BIOS (like for example: bios password, turn on/off the intel me bios extension, ..) using amt. I know it could be possible when using Serial-Over-Lan feature, but it would not be too automated way of doing things. Is it possible to access these parameters in a programmatic way using the amt engine?

Next question is about BIOS upgrade once more - I cannot find this option in the machine's WebUI - should it be there? Or maybe I need to get some tools for it? Could you tell me which?

And when I get to the UI/tool for it - in what format should the firmware be in for me to upload it to upgrade remotely? Is it the same that I get from the mobo vendor and use to upgrade locally?

Cheers,
Jdrzej Kalinowski

0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Yes, there is no interface in AMT to change motherboard BIOS settings pragmatically. Since the BIOS is OEM dependent the settings will vary between manufacturers. However, as you mentioned, you can do a SOL session and remote boot to BIOS to access the settings remotely.

Also, it should be possible to remotely update your BIOS. Please take a look at this forum discussion describing how to do it with an Intel motherboard: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=59390
Are you using an Intel motherboard on your AMT client system?
If not, you may need to consult your OEM documentation on BIOS updates.

Please let me know if this information helps.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

I forgot to mention that the option to update the BIOS remotelyis not available in the WebUI. I was told that it was there in an earlier version, but that was before my time :)
0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee

I forgot to mention that the option to update the BIOS remotelyis not available in the WebUI. I was told that it was there in an earlier version, but that was before my time :)

In AMT version 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2, the option to update the firmware is present in WebUI.
Kalinek, if your machine is a 2.x desktop, you should see it in the left menu.

The firmware to update may include both BIOS and AMT code updates, and is released per OEM's discretion -they decide which versions to make public and when.
0 Kudos
kalinek
Beginner
Thank you all for the information! I think I know what I needed now. You do great job helping people here.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the nicefeedback :)

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - kalinek
Thank you all for the information! I think I know what I needed now. You do great job helping people here.

I just noticed you said in your first post that you have AMT version 3.
So my information about AMT 2.1-2.2,while important,is irrelevant:)

Anyway, glad you're finding the info you want to set up your machines. We're here for anyother questionsyou may have.
0 Kudos