I have been research about small project.
- Power On a computer using Intel vPro chip through LAN. My program at Linux platform remote to computer using vPro chip through LAN. I'm using 'AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide'. https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm
and I implemented 'Change Power State' computer using vPro chip.It's ok.
So, I just power On button on computer using vPro but I try set a [PowerOn password] of vPro comuputer at BIOS configuration. The dialog box will appear at vPro computer's BIOS Screen When vPro computer powerOn and require input a [PowerOn password] which i have been set before.
- I can't pass my [PowerOn password] from Linux platform to vPro computer's BIOS Screen. i have been test and debug with API, class, method,... which Intel SDK provided. For Example:
+ Get Password Model
Anyone can help me,
thanks you and best Regards
Could you please clarify what program you are using on the remote Linux management machine to access the vpro system?
And are you speaking of a BIOS password or an AMT password?
Is this something you can do if you access from a Windows system?
Hi Colleen Culbertson,
thank your comment, I want clarify information about my program, please see my figure.
- From Linux Management, i pass a [BIOS password] to vPro system. If it's true then vPro system will PowerOn and access to OS Screen. In oppisite, It's false, vPro system will Timeout and Shutdown vPro system.
- Is this clarify?
Yes, Window, i just reference KVM and VNC viewer on window to remote to vPro system.But my program through by LAN network. Linux management stytem.
Thank for each your suggestion.
On Linux Management don't using any software, It's my program. My program is coding, i have reference 'intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk' https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk... . But i cannot send a [BIOS password] to vPro system.
> My program:
1. Check power State of vPro system through LAN network. It's ok.
2. PowerOn vPro system throught LAN network. It's ok.
I try set a [BIOS password] in vPro's BIOS config. In current, vPro is power On right away, although i have been set [BIOS password].
I want input [BIOS password] from Linux management and pass in vPro system. If it's true then vPro system will PowerOn and access to OS Screen. In oppisite, It's false, vPro system will Timeout and Shutdown vPro system.
On Window management, Could you please say what software you use to pass a password from Window management to vPro system?
I'm running my application (C/C++) on Linux system and my application implemented two function:
1.Check power State of vPro system through LAN network.
2. PowerOn vPro system throught LAN network.
- The function one, i'm done.
- The function two:
+ And now, the vPro is power On right away.
+ But I want to input a [BIOS password] and after that vPro is powerOn. The [BIOS password] is set in BIOS configure of vPro system.
I don't know intel SDK library have support this problem, i try test many api,function,... in https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm . For example:
+ Get Password Model
Do you understand ?
Could you please give about the possibility bypass a [BIOS password].
We need to find out what communication you are getting. Please follow these steps
Power on the AMT client. You need to know it's IP address.
On a separate system on the SAME subnet connect using http://192.168.0.1:16992 (IPv4 address/Port 16992)
You should see a webpage and see if it asks for the username and password.
I want to clarify information about my application again,
1. Check power State of vPro system:
+ I have implemented' CIM_AssociatedPowerManagementService.PowerState' object to get powerState of vPro system.
2. Change powerState (PowerOn) vPro system:
+ Retrieve the instance of Cim_PowerManagementService and call this method Cim_PowerManagementService.RequestPowerStateChange with following parameters:
+ Currently, the state of the option [PowerOn password] in vPro BIOS configuration must be "ON" (required).
+ When vPro is turned on, it requires user to input [PowerOn password] and i have to input the password manually. So my question here is:
- Can I set the [PowerOn password] in the PowerManagementService object so when i use my application to turn on vPro, it will bypass the input [PowerOn password] screen and instantly move to the log in screen of the OS ? Is there any other way to bypass this input [PowerOn password] screen ?
Thank you for your help.
Thanks for your reply.
I do understand that bypassing the input password screen is strongly not recommended. However, i was required to study about this problem so could you please give me a more detailed answer about the possibility to bypass the PowerOn password. Can the current Intel AMT SDK bypass the PowerOn password on purpose ? If it is possible, then how could it be implemented ?
Thank you so much for your help.
Thanks for suggest.
Yes, bypass the password input- everyone can get into the system (no security).
Our information already is being lost in translation to English. May be our information is not clarify. We want clarify information about my application again.
We have run into a problem while trying to create an application that can turn on the Intel vPro PC (Windows OS) from another PC (Linux). In detail:
We were creating an application on Linux that can turn on another Intel vPro PC (Windows OS) (like Wake-On-Lan) with the following conditions:
- The Intel vPro PC should enable the [PowerOn Password] option in its BIOS (so when the PC is turned on, it requires user to input a password in order to access the computer).
- Directly remote to Intel vPro PC is unpermitted (ex: using VNC to remote to vPro PC) because of services order.
- We are using the Intel AMT SDK library.
i. We call the method "RequestPowerStateChange" from class "CIM_PowerManagementService" to turn on the power of Intel vPro PC.
ii. When the PC is turned on, we have to input the PowerOn password on the console screen in order to proceed to Windows (because the [PowerOn Password] option is enabled).
- The PowerOn password of vPro Pc is provided and set in the Linux Pc application.
- We are willing to automatically input this password from Linux PC to vPro PC when we run our application.
Our target is: If the set password is correct, the below process will be done automatically.
1. We turn on the vPro PC.
2. The PowerOn password will be automatically input.
3. The process will go to the Windows Logon.
(which mean there will be no console screen to input PowerOn password)
-> Therefore, we want to ask if the current Intel AMT SDK has any class or method that can handle this process ?
We have been searching from the SDK Home Page but still have not found anything that can help us solve this problem.
Nguyen Van Quyen
My apologies for the ambiguity of my previous comments. I want to clarify my idea here:
1. The "bypass" word i used does not mean to skip the input password step.
2. Is there any solution using AMT SDK to input the BIOS password from the remote PC ?
Thanks & Best Regards