Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1379 Discussions

Problem with program's vPro technology via AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide

Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I have been research about small project.

Following

- Power On a computer using Intel vPro chip through LAN. My program at Linux platform remote to computer using vPro chip through LAN. I'm using      'AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide'. https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm

and I implemented 'Change Power State' computer using vPro chip.It's ok.

So, I just power On button on computer using vPro but I try set a [PowerOn password] of vPro comuputer at BIOS configuration. The dialog box will appear at vPro computer's BIOS Screen When vPro computer powerOn and require input a [PowerOn password] which i have been set before.

- I can't pass my [PowerOn password] from Linux platform to vPro computer's BIOS Screen. i have been test and debug with API, class, method,... which Intel SDK provided. For Example: 

+ CIM_BootSettingData

+ CIM_PowerManagementService

+ Get Password Model

+ CIM_BootConfigSetting

+ ...

Anyone can help me,  

thanks you and best Regards

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Could you please clarify what program you are using on the remote Linux management machine to access the vpro system?
And are you speaking of a BIOS password or an AMT password?
Is this something you can do if you access from a Windows system?

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Colleen Culbertson,

thank your comment, I want clarify information about my program, please see my figure.

Snap 2014-10-17 at 09.04.02.png

• 'BIOS password':I have been set in BIOS config of vPro system.

- From Linux Management, i pass a [BIOS password] to vPro system. If it's true then vPro system will PowerOn and access to OS Screen. In oppisite, It's false, vPro system will Timeout and Shutdown vPro system.

- Is this clarify?

Yes, Window, i just reference KVM and VNC  viewer on window to remote to vPro system.But my program through by LAN network. Linux management stytem.

Thank for each your suggestion.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

So Windows works, but the Linux software you are using does not work to send the password.  Can you please say what software you use for Linux Management?

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Colleen,

On Linux Management don't using any software, It's my program. My program is coding, i have reference 'intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk'  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk/ . But i cannot send a [BIOS password] to vPro system.

> My program:

1. Check power State of vPro system through LAN network. It's ok.

2. PowerOn vPro system throught LAN network. It's ok.  

I try set a [BIOS password] in vPro's BIOS config. In current, vPro is power On right away, although i have been set [BIOS password].

I want input [BIOS password] from Linux management and pass in vPro system. If it's true then vPro system will PowerOn and access to OS             Screen. In oppisite, It's false, vPro system will Timeout and Shutdown vPro system.

On Window management, Could you please say what software you use to pass a password from Window management to vPro system?

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

hi everyone , 

up

up

Please, help me check this issue. many thank

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Hi again,   I think information is being lost in translation to English.  Could you please write us in your native language what works and what doesn't ?  

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Do you have the MEI driver/LMS software installed on your Linux system?

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Gael,

i don't have MEI driver/LMS software software installed on Linux system.

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Colleen,

I'm running my application (C/C++) on Linux system and my application implemented two function:

1.Check power State of vPro system through LAN network.

2. PowerOn vPro system throught LAN network.

-   The function one, i'm done.

-   The function two:

+ And now, the vPro  is power On right away.

+ But I want to input a [BIOS password] and after that vPro is powerOn. The [BIOS password] is set in BIOS configure of vPro system. 

I don't know intel SDK library have support this problem, i try test many api,function,... in https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm . For example:

+ CIM_BootSettingData

+ CIM_PowerManagementService

+ Get Password Model

+ CIM_BootConfigSetting

+ ...

Do you understand ? 

Could you please give about the possibility bypass a [BIOS password].

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

We need to find out what communication you are getting.  Please follow these steps

Power on the AMT client. You need to know it's IP address. 
On a separate system on the SAME subnet connect using  http://192.168.0.1:16992                           (IPv4 address/Port 16992) 

You should see a webpage and see if it asks for the username and password. 

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

hi Colleen,

I want to clarify information about my application again,

1. Check power State of vPro system:

+ Reference url (https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Fgetsystempowerstate.htm)

+ I have implemented' CIM_AssociatedPowerManagementService.PowerState' object to get powerState of vPro system. 

2. Change powerState (PowerOn) vPro system:

+ Reference url       (https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/WordDocuments/changesystempowerstate.htm)

+ Retrieve the instance of Cim_PowerManagementService and call this method Cim_PowerManagementService.RequestPowerStateChange with  following parameters:

• powerState: One of the defined power states
  • Managed Element: A reference to the "managed system" object
  • Time: NULL
  • TimeoutPeriod: NULL

3. Problem:

+ Currently, the state of the option [PowerOn password] in vPro BIOS configuration must be "ON" (required).

+ When vPro is turned on, it requires user to input [PowerOn password] and i have to input the password manually. So my question here is:

- Can I set the [PowerOn password] in the PowerManagementService object so when i use my application to turn on vPro, it will bypass the input [PowerOn password] screen and instantly move to the log in screen of the OS ? Is there any other way to bypass this input [PowerOn password] screen ?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

You should NOT bypass the password input - because if you do, everyone/anyone can get into the system (no security).

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for your reply.

I do understand that bypassing the input password screen is strongly not recommended. However, i was required to study about this problem so could you please give me a more detailed answer about the possibility to bypass the PowerOn password. Can the current Intel AMT SDK bypass the PowerOn password on purpose ? If it is possible, then how could it be implemented ?

Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for suggest.

Yes, bypass the password input- everyone can get into the system (no security).

Our information already  is being lost in translation to English. May be our information is not clarify. We want clarify information about my application again. 

-------

We have run into a problem while trying to create an application that can turn on the Intel vPro PC (Windows OS) from another PC (Linux). In detail:

1. Requirement

Snap 2014-11-07 at 15.34.19.png

We were creating an application on Linux that can turn on another Intel vPro PC (Windows OS) (like Wake-On-Lan) with the following conditions:

- The Intel vPro PC should enable the [PowerOn Password] option in its BIOS (so when the PC is turned on, it requires user to input a password in order to access the computer).

- Directly remote to Intel vPro PC is unpermitted (ex: using VNC to remote to vPro PC) because of services order.

2. Progress

- We are using the Intel AMT SDK library.

i. We call the method "RequestPowerStateChange" from class "CIM_PowerManagementService" to turn on the power of Intel vPro PC.

ii. When the PC is turned on, we have to input the PowerOn password on the console screen in order to proceed to Windows (because the       [PowerOn Password] option is enabled).

3. Target

- The PowerOn password of vPro Pc is provided and set in the Linux Pc application.

- We are willing to automatically input this password from Linux PC to vPro PC when we run our application. 

Our target is:   If the set password is correct, the below process will be done automatically.

1. We turn on the vPro PC.

2. The PowerOn password will be automatically input.

3.  The process will go to the Windows Logon.

(which mean there will be no console screen to input PowerOn password)

4. Question

-> Therefore, we want to ask if the current Intel AMT SDK has any class or method that can handle this process ? 

We have been searching from the SDK Home Page but still have not found anything that can help us solve this problem.

Best regards,

Nguyen Van Quyen

0 Kudos
Nguyễn_Văn_Q_
Beginner

My apologies for the ambiguity of my previous comments. I want to clarify my idea here:

1. The "bypass" word i used does not mean to skip the input password step.

2. Is there any solution using AMT SDK to input the BIOS password from the remote PC ?

Thanks & Best Regards

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Well if AMT is enabled you could do a KVM session - that is the only time within AMT that you would have access to the BIOS password.

0 Kudos