Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

Query about Intel Intelligent Power Node Manager

priyagps
Beginner
Hi,
I have a machine with Intel Xeon E-5502, Nahelam. I wish to be able to monitor the power usage of the entire machine as
well as each of the processors individually. Intel has something called as Intelligent Power Node Manager. I am not sure
whether it works on Linux.
Since, I need this support for some experiments, I wish to read the values in a timely fashion, and might require modification
to the software. If there a manual which explains how can I collect the power metrics of whole system and (each processor) individually.
Can IPMI be used for the same ?

The second question is, even when the Intel processors have cabality to report the power, what is its accuracy and resolution?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jacace
New Contributor I
Quoting - priyagps
Hi,
I have a machine with Intel Xeon E-5502, Nahelam. I wish to be able to monitor the power usage of the entire machine as
well as each of the processors individually. Intel has something called as Intelligent Power Node Manager. I am not sure
Since, I need this support for some experiments, I wish to read the values in a timely fashion, and might require modification
to the software. If there a manual which explains how can I collect the power metrics of whole system and (each processor) individually.

The second question is, even when the Intel processors have cabality to report the power, what is its accuracy and resolution?

Hello,

I think this is not the best place for your question. This forum is mainly focused on Manageability with Intel AMT (vPro).

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis
0 Kudos
Paul_C_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - priyagps
Hi,

Hi,

You are correct, Intel has a platform hardware technology called Intel Intelligent Power Node Manager, or NM for short and a software technology called Intel Data Center Manager or DCM for short. Information regarding both of these technologies can be found on the Intel website by searching for "Node Manager" or "Data Center Manager".

NM is a platform technology that allows you to measure and control power usage on a single server. In its current version, you can monitor the power usage of the entire server, but not the individual components or cores. It works with any OS that supports IPMI. Using IPMI command you can monitor and control power on the server.You should be able to find accuracy and resolution specifications on the Intel website.

DCM is a software product that allows you to aggregate servers together into logical groups (rack, row, data center, etc.) and then monitor and control these aggregated groups. DCM ships with an SDK that allows you to develop your own management console, as well as provides a sample console implementation for you to try. You can go to the following URL and request a download of DCM:

http://software.intel.com/sites/datacentermanager/faqs.php

Paul
0 Kudos