Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

RDK Utility Application cannot connect with Emulator

sohaib2y
Beginner

When I try to login using RDK Utility Application Package (while emulator is running on local machine), setting ip=127.0.0.1 username/pass=admin/admin, as in EmulatorConfigurationFile.xml file, it responds by saying that the machine does not support vPro technology.
Thanks for replying :)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that you need to have actual AMT hardware when running the RDK. BTW, the emulator was mainly used back when AMT systems were not widely available and will not be available at all in future revs of the SDK.

Gael

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

Thanks for such a quick reply. OK, that emulator cannot be used with DTK or RDK. Can we use it with SDK ?

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi,

I beleive you can as long as you have your ports/URLs set up specifically for the Emulator. Note however that the laterversions of the SDK may not be compatible with the Emulator (as it is based on older versions of AMT) and since there will be no emulator in future revs of the SDK, there is no support for it should it not work as expected.

Gael

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

I am a little skeptic :) , RDK is built on SDK, so if we can use emulator with SDK, then why not with RDK, and more, if the communication with Emulator (or AMT Hardware) is with SOAP only, then we shud be able to use RDK.

Sohaib.
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

Both the RDK and emulator are really old but I think the RDK still provides useful samples for people using Java. The emulator on the other hand is so old and does not implement all of the web services that Intel AMT supports. As a result, tools such at the RDK and DTK don't work against the emulator.

If you use the SDK and use only the services implemented by the emulator, I guess it should work. I am just not sure there is much value in doing this since the emulator is so far off from the behavior of the real hardware.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hello Ylian,

U mentioned that RDK is really old, it means RDK is not supported as DTK ? One should better use DTK instead of RDK ?

Thanks.

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello,

No one is activily working on/supporting the RDK at the moment. It was originally offered as an example set of code for Intel 2.0 (Linux/Java.) The DTK is actively being worked on and is your best source for an example showcasing today's AMT versions.

So the answer to your question is: Yes.

Gael

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi Gael,

Thank you.

Sohaib.
0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

RDK is API ? DTK is not an API (but a tool set) ? and SDK is not full blown API (it does not provide API for every interface provided by AMT hardware) ? How much I am right about these statements.

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello, I will provide some information about each here for you:

RDK: Reference Design Kit - This is a "solution" written in Java on Linux provided to help folks implement Intel AMT into their applications. It is very much like the DTK, only it is based on older versions of Intel AMT and it is not in C#. Also it is not being updated. Use it only as an example to get started in a Java environment.

DTK: Developer's Tool Kit - This is also a "solution" however it is written in C# on Windows. Ylian is the Author and keeps it up to date and fixes bugs and adds new capabilities. Since the Source Code is also available, it can also be used as "example code" for folks having difficulty getting started.

SDK: Software Development Kit - Provide sample code and all the APIs you need to implement Intel AMT. Both the RDK and the DTK use the APIs provided in the SDK.

Does this help?

Gael

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi Gael,

ya, that helped. U said SDK provides all the APIs, but in what form?, in dlls?, and Can we even bypass SDK and use directly the web services exposed by Intel AMT? The storage and Redirection features r not supported thru web-service interface, so how SDK uses these features (i.e some other protocol) ?

Thankx

Sohaib
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Gael and supplement my answer here.

You are correct: web services do most of the work, but IDE Redirect/Serial-over-LAN are seperate protocols. For web services, we have a set of WSDL files, these are XML files that describe the web services interfaces. You can run the WSDL files into a code generator for your favorite language and it will give you a set of classes you can use to make the web services calls. For examples of this, look at the SDK for C++, RDK for Java and DTK for C#.

As for IDER and SOL, there is a .dll (and associated .lib) file in the SDK you must use. The protocols are not documented, so you have have to use the .dll that is provided. Again, if you use C++ look at the SDK for samples, if you using C# look in the DTK, I have a C# wrapper class for that dll, so it's very easy to use.

Storage is a weird one, it uses web services, but it's not a documented call. The SDK provides a .lib file that you must use. In the DTK, I compiled that .lib file into a dll and built a C# wrapper class to make it easy to use.

Hope this all helps,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Thanx Ylian,

I can only use java (and SDK thru JNI), I am not allowed to use .net framework, so .net dlls and any develpment in c# is not possible (cuz they will not run without .net framework ), so the only option for IDER is SDK dlls.

Thanks to both of u for helping.

Sohaib.
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

If you are going to use Java, certainly look at the RDK for inspiration. For protocols other than web services, I believe the RDK works by taking some of the sample C++ tools provided with the SDK and calling them using a command line with arguments. It's a bit ugly because a console window pops-up each time you do IDE-R/SOL, etc. For 3rd party storage, the Java tool saves a file and calls an .exe to perform the operation.

For SOL, many applications that exist today connect to the Intel AMT SOL port, open a local TCP port and forward the information along. They then invoke Telnet or Hyperterm to connect to the local port. I recommand you use IAmtTerm.exe that is part of the DTK as a terminal, it's much better suited for serial-over-lan.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos