Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

SOL Exception in Enterprise mode

jacace
New Contributor I

Hello everybody,

I'm testing the power management cicle in an Enterprise provisioned machine. The problem is that when the the StartSerial method is called (in the SDK code) the return value of this function is a socket openingerror. But when I tried with a SMB provisioned machine there is no error. I have been debugging and I do not found what's happening. The Enterprise machine is TLS secured (not mutual, just basic TLS) and provisioned with the SCS. I'm already getting the machine asset via WsMan, so I'm able to access it.

Thanks a lot,

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Javier,

In the process of writing software for AMT, I've found that the easiest thing to do in a case like this is to go back to a known good tool like the DTK. If the DTK can set up a connection to the SOL port, then there is a problem with your code. If the DTK can't set up a connection, then the problem is probably in the setup of the AMT system. You can also use a network sniffer like Wireshark to monitor the traffic between the console and the AMT system. In Wireshark, the SOAP or WSMAN traffic is pretty easy to interpret if you use the "follow the TCP stream" feature. Also, make sure that you have an updated copy of the IMRSDK.DLL library file installed on your console system. I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
I forget to mention the returnederror code:

IMR_RES_SOCKET_ERROR

A socket error has occurred.

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Hello Roger,
I tried with the "Intel AMT Terminal" (from DTK) and I got the same error code, so I'm sure It's not a coding problem.
But I don't knowwhat could be wrong with setup? I mean, I'm able to access the machine asset, so I think the machine it's correctly provisioned and configured.
The line where the "Intel AMT Treminal" fails is in AmtRedirectorWrapper.cs line 617:

IMRResult

r = IMR_SOLOpenTCPSession(clientId, login, data, IntPtr.Zero);

Where r=IMRResult.IMR_RES_SOCKET_ERROR.

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Javier,

You're most likely looking at problem with the configuration settings for SOL in your management console. The socket failure is probably getting a "permission denied" response when it tries to setup the SOL connection. Look up any settings that you can find regarding the permissions and security realms for SOL connections in your management console documentation. Also, you may want to try and use the AMT Director or the Setup and Configuration Application from the SDK to provision the system on a deadnet and see if the SOL connections are working in a more controlled environment.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Quoting - rogerb

Javier,

You're most likely looking at problem with the configuration settings for SOL in your management console. The socket failure is probably getting a "permission denied" response when it tries to setup the SOL connection. Look up any settings that you can find regarding the permissions and security realms for SOL connections in your management console documentation. Also, you may want to try and use the AMT Director or the Setup and Configuration Application from the SDK to provision the system on a deadnet and see if the SOL connections are working in a more controlled environment.

Regards,

Roger

Hello Roger,

SOL is enabled in the management console settings; I'm making the connection with the admin user, who has all realms granted. I re-provisioned the machine in SMB mode andI can connect itusing Director; after connect the machine I fired up the Terminal by clicking the" Take Control" button I can see the "Serial-over-LAN connected" status.

The problem is that when I click on any option of the Remote Control option menu the computer.Remote.SendRemoteControl() method returns a SUCESS status but nothing happens at the machine (I mean, for example the machine is notpowered down) and if I click again in any Remote Control option menuI alwaysgot a FAILED_WEB_CALL error.

So I'm a bit more confused now.

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hi Javier,

Check the setting for SOL in the MEBx. If SOL is disabled in the MEBx, then the call to connect to SOL will not do anything. Have you tried to provision the system from AMT Director to get the SCS out of the picture? Are the commands going to the system as SOAP or WSMAN? Have you tried to provision the system using the SCA out of the SDK? I really don't understand the responses that you're getting, but if SOL works in SMB mode, then the functionality is there, so it seems like you've got a configuration or authorization problem. This is why I'm suggesting that you get the SCS out of the picture. The other methods of setting up the system give you much more immediate control over the settings that go into the system when it gets configured by the server.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Quoting - rogerb

Hi Javier,

Check the setting for SOL in the MEBx. If SOL is disabled in the MEBx, then the call to connect to SOL will not do anything. Have you tried to provision the system from AMT Director to get the SCS out of the picture? Are the commands going to the system as SOAP or WSMAN? Have you tried to provision the system using the SCA out of the SDK? I really don't understand the responses that you're getting, but if SOL works in SMB mode, then the functionality is there, so it seems like you've got a configuration or authorization problem. This is why I'm suggesting that you get the SCS out of the picture. The other methods of setting up the system give you much more immediate control over the settings that go into the system when it gets configured by the server.

Regards,

Roger

Hello Roger,

Let me explain again,

The machine is in SMB mode (so, SCS and Director out of the picture).

SOL is enabled in MEBx.

The machine is in 3.2.1version, so I think WsMan is used.

I have been doing other testswith WebUI and I found that Remote Control commands sent are applied (I mean, machine is power down/upand reset correctly).

The issue is that Terminal shows the machine as "SOL Connected" status (see the picture), butno remote command (power down/up, reset) sent is applied.

Thanks a lot,

Javier Andrs

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Hello Roger,
I have more feedback:
I have another AMT 2.1.0 machine in SMB modeand remote commands (power up/down, reset, ...) in Terminalare correctly appliedwith the same settings. So I think it's a WsMan issue.
Thanks a lot,
Javier Andrs

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hi Javier,

I know that there is a setting in AMT Commander to only use EOI to communicate with the target system. Try changing that setting. Also, there is a debug window in AMT Commander that allows you to see all of the calls that the tool sends over the network to the AMT system, that might also help you to see what the problem might be. My personal preference is to use Wireshark and capture the network traffic between the console and the target system. The SOAP calls are very easy to read when you use the "follow TCP stream" command.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Hello Roger,
I changed the settings to only use EOI and it works ok.

I opened the log window and I could see two errors, but after few seconds dissapeared (I could not save them).

Another advice to follow?. After all, I'll be switching again to Enterprise mode and I'lltest againin EOI only case.

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Hello Roger,
I found the problem is WsMan cause EOI returns a SO_POWERED status and WsMan returns a S2_SLEEPING_WITHOUT_CONTEXT status and there is a condition in Terminal that does not send any remote command if status is not equal to SO_POWERED or S1_SLEEPING_WITHOUT_CONTEXT.
So, what's wrong?

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hi Javier,

That is a very good question considering the only valid sleep states in the system are S3, S4, and S5; the S1 and S2 states have been deprecated. It think that it is a good question for the Intel folks as to why the sleep state would be coming back as a S1 or S2.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I
Quoting - rogerb

Hi Javier,

That is a very good question considering the only valid sleep states in the system are S3, S4, and S5; the S1 and S2 states have been deprecated. It think that it is a good question for the Intel folks as to why the sleep state would be coming back as a S1 or S2.

Regards,

Roger

Hello Roger,

I'm switching back to EOI cause this also affects asset functionality.

See this thread: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=61450

Thanks anyway,

0 Kudos