Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Several questions, redirect video, SOL terminal

michael_b
Beginner

Hello!

I am writing a paper for a German university and would highly appreciateyour help. It is planned to publish this paper. I have an Intel Q35-Board (Intel Desktop Board DQ35JO), running Windows Server 2008.

I managed to get the web interface to work, and I can connect with DTK.

I have the following questions:

Please also help me with the following problems:
  • The SOL console of the Intel DTK-Commander does not show anything but a black screen for me. How can I use this tool? What functions has the console?
  • I tried to reboot to BIOS with the console. The BIOS screen on the remote-PC looked smaller but I did not see anything in the console. Any idea?
  • The Interface Driver on the remote-PC(Windows 2008) shows status "unknown" of my AMT hardware. However, the driver installed without errors and the unknown devices in the device manager are gone. Are those applications that come with the driver compatible with Server 2008?
  • Sending an Agent Command (like Shutdown) from the console returns an error ("failed, agent not runnning") Any ideas?

If you need more information to answer my question, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Michael Brunnquell

michael@brunnquell.eu

0 Kudos
6 Replies
michael_b
Beginner
Hi!

I have figured out how to remotely enter the BIOS and I was able to boot from a remote drive.

My other problems are still there:
  • The tool "Intel Active Management Technology Status" still spits out an error could not retrieve status from atchksrv.
  • What is the deal with the "Agent Command" in SOL console?
  • And the questions about DASH and screen redirect.
Another problem occured while trying to install Server 2008 with IDE redirect. I could not finish the installation process remotely because the graphical installation pages were not displayed on the SOL console. Any work arounds?

Thanks,

Michael
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

We are looking into these questions. Will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi and thank you for the questions.

• Can you redirect the screen of the remote-PC

Partialy. With Intel AMT you can ask the BIOS to redirect text mode display to the remote VT100 terminal, but the BIOS cannot do this for graphics display. Seperatly, if you look at the DTK tutorial videos, I have a demonstration what I just Intel AMT Commander and Intel AMT Outpost performing VNC-over-Serial-over-LAN. In that demo, I can turn off the OS network drivers and still VNC to the client computer, but you need Outpost and VNC server to be running on the client computer.

• Is AMT 3.0 fulfilling the DASH requirement?

Not quite yet. You may have notived that Intel AMT 3.0 supports WSMAN. It is Intel's goal to be compliant. I am not involved with the DASH standards work but 3.0 is not perfectly compliant yet. It is my understanding that there will be a firmware update to make it compliant later. Of course, being DASH compliant does not neet you get all of the features of Intel AMT, some features like SOL/IDE-R are still AMT specific for now.

• The SOL console of the Intel DTK-Commander does not show anything but a black screen for me. How can I use this tool? What functions has the console?

If the AMT computer is in the OS, you will not see anything. You can run Intel AMT Outpost and turn on the serial agent, you will see a management prompt. If the OS is Linux, you can start a shell and forward the input and output to the Intel AMT serial port. You can also tell Commander to reboot the AMT computer to BIOS and you will see the BIOS screen on the terminal.

• I tried to reboot to BIOS with the console. The BIOS screen on the remote-PC looked smaller but I did not see anything in the console. Any idea?

That is strange, got in the terminal menu and disconnect and reconnect. Sometimes Commander looses the connection but the Intel library does not tell Commander that the connection is lost.

• The Interface Driver on the remote-PC(Windows 2008) shows status "unknown" of my AMT hardware. However, the driver installed without errors and the unknown devices in the device manager are gone. Are those applications that come with the driver compatible with Server 2008?

I never use that application. It should work if you have HECI driver installed, but I am not sure. I don't see why it should work work. I have noticed that this tool is not very useful, so I never use it.

• Sending an Agent Command (like Shutdown) from the console returns an error ("failed, agent not runnning") Any ideas?

Yes, you need Intel AMT Outpost running and connected on the Intel AMT Computer for that command to work.

• Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
    Ylian_S_Intel
    Employee
    • The tool "Intel Active Management Technology Status" still spits out an error could not retrieve status from atchksrv.

Ha yes, check that the Intel services for AMT are running. There are 3 of them, "Local Management Server", "User Notification" and another one.

• Another problem occured while trying to install Server 2008 with IDE redirect. I could not finish the installation process remotely because the graphical installation pages were not displayed on the SOL console. Any work arounds?

No workaround really unless you have Intel AMT Outpost and VNC server running an you can take control of the computer's display using TCP-over-SOL.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
    michael_b
    Beginner

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your answer Ylian! They are really helpful.

I have another question: There is a feature "Virtual appliance" in the Management Engine. What is it good for?

Do you have a list of current programs that support AMT? It would be even better if it also shows which features of AMT are supported.

Talking about DASH compliance: which Version would be supported in near future via Firmware update? Probably 1.0 because 1.1 would have screen redirect.

Thanks again,

Michael

P.S. Did I mention that I am really excited about the features of AMT? I especially like the Web UI with power on/off and the IDE-redirect.

0 Kudos
    Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

A virtual appliance is a dedicated operating environment dedicated to a particular function. You can find more details on this at http://download.intel.com/business/vpro/pdfs/vpro_wp.pdf

On the programs supporting AMT, are you looking for something to evaluate AMT for your own development reasons or for purchasing a product?

DASH 1.1 would be the one supported.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos