Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Software Inventory through vPro

raul_sanchez
Beginner
I have studied the SoftwareInventory project in the Intel AMT Deleveloper Tool Kit and i view this software inventory for applications is obtained through registry entry. Therefore, what new characteristic do i obtain with vPro?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Software Inventory through registry entryworks on an in-band basis only; that is, these tools require the target system to be operational, and they fail if the platform is powered off or if the operating system is otherwise non- functional. But using a third-party software inventory management application that supports Intel AMT, an IT professional discovers platforms remotely down-the-wire, regardless of operating system or power state.

You can see more details on this at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology-use-case-2-software-inventory-management-discover

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
raul_sanchez
Beginner
But, if i understand well, with vPro i can load software inventory in non-volatile memory and we can work when the platform is powered off or if the OS is non functional. This way, we can retrieve this information, but if i load the information in a data base in a server, do i obtain the same result and the same funcionality as vPro, is it not?
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

The information stored in a database server can be tampered but the software inventory saved in non-volatile memory in vPro can't be tampered. Plus it has the additional advantage of retrieving this data remotely regardless of the power and OS state, which is not the case in database server.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos