Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Update BIOS using AMT

Maria_Camila_Gomez-S

Is it possible to update the BIOS software using AMT SOL and IDE-R?

I would think that it is possible via "iFlash BIOS Update" or "ISO Image BIOS Update" since these are text based boot sequences. How ever since we are updating the BIOS I don't know if AMT features, SOL and IDE-R will allow this update through a SOL terminal.

Thanks in advance,

Maria
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Maria,

I'm pretty sure I have done this on my HP 7700p a long while back and I can't find anyone who says you wouldn't be able to do this. Can you give it a try and let us know how it goes? SOL just gives you a window to the boot screen (so it seems as if it shouldn't matter if it is updating the BIOs.) Also the firmware and BIOS are separate so since this is an AMT feature (ie, works via AMT) it seems like you should be able to do this.

Is there anyone else on this Forum who has tried this and could let us know if it was successful?

0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S
Thanks for your answer Gael!

I will give it a try and let you know how does it go!

Maria

0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S
I was able to update my BIOS using IDE-R using ISO BIOS Update!

Board: DQ965GF

Original Version: 5434

Updated Version: 5493

:)

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Excellent! Thank you for sharing your success with the forum.
0 Kudos
Craig_W_Intel
Employee

Maria,

Could you give a little more detail on your success, please? Where did the ISO come from? Was it something you downloaded or created yourself? Did you use SoL simultaneously? If so, what did you observe on the SoL window? Thanks for providing any additional details.

Craig

0 Kudos
Maria_Camila_Gomez-S
Off course Craig, thanks for asking!

According to Intel there are 5 different ways to update the BIOS software:
* Express BIOS Update
* Iflash BIOS Update
* ISO Image BIOS Update
* Recovery BIOS Update
* Integrator Toolkit BIOS Files

Based on what is defined for Iflash and Iso image update procedures it seems like you get a bootable media to perform BIOS Update.

Please refer to this link:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

I got the software for my BIOS here:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dq965gf
(There is a List of different Board references at the first link )

I downloaded the ISO file and I used IDE-R to boot from my redirected CD (I did this using our own AMT Capable software: "Aranda LOM" , but you should be able to do it using DTK Commander or any other solution supporting IDE-R).

I have updated my AMT computers BIOS several times, the most effective way for me is always the ISO Bios Update option, but I had never tried before to update it via IDE-R, that is why I asked, tried and succeed! :)

I was using SOL during the BIOS update and I saw the same that is usually displayed when I do this at the computer (the same showed at the PDF instructions you can find at the first link)

Please feel free to ask if you need more details!

Maria

0 Kudos
rezae__mohsen
Beginner

hi . is there any way to update bios . without login into an OS like windows? 

just use a USB flash and update bios on startup and boot? 

0 Kudos