Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Using TLS for SMB

amit_kulkarni83
New Contributor I

Hi All,

I want to use TLS for communicating with AMT. I have Intel AMT 3.0 machine.

In network interface guide it is written that it is not possible to use TLS in SMB mode for up to AMT 2.1.(Please Read section 10.2 of network interface guide). So if we can use it for 3.0 please tell me how?

Also, If we use TLS we have to use cirtificate.I have one application that uses 3PDS to store the data. I want to use TLS in it.

So please explain in brif what I have to change in code and what setting I have to do elsewhere?

Thanks & Regards,

Amit.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Amit,

I'm fairly certain that TLS cannot be enabled in SMB mode. At the bottom of section 10.2.1 in the Network Interface Guide, there's a line that says "In Intel AMT configured in Small Business mode TLS cannot be enabled". Where exactly in the section did you read that it isn't possible to use TLS in SMB mode for up to AMT 2.1? And which version of the SDK do you have?

Andy

0 Kudos
amit_kulkarni83
New Contributor I
Quoting - Andrew Schiestl
Amit,

I'm fairly certain that TLS cannot be enabled in SMB mode. At the bottom of section 10.2.1 in the Network Interface Guide, there's a line that says "In Intel AMT configured in Small Business mode TLS cannot be enabled". Where exactly in the section did you read that it isn't possible to use TLS in SMB mode for up to AMT 2.1? And which version of the SDK do you have?

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I am using SDK 3.0. And I am reffering same bottom lines that of section 10.2.1. There it is said that "

In Intel AMT Release 1.0 and Intel AMT Release 2.0/2.1, when configured in Small Business mode

TLS cannot be enabled.

" Does that mean it can be enabled for 3.0

Thanks & Regards,

Amit.

0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Having read the Network Interface Guide for the 3.0 SDK, I now understand why it wasn't clear. But yes, you can only use TLS in enterprise mode, not in SMB mode.
0 Kudos