Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646
1136 Discussions

how can do I tell if a received message is direct, or a public/room message?

Stephen_-_
New Contributor I

Hello, I'm currently rebuilding my site from 3.5.2 to 4.0.1. Using the javascript sdk.

Before, on 3.5.2, when I would receive a message (from the conference.send function) I would be able to see who it was sent 'to' by looking at the event.msg.to

When this would contain "all", I would know that this message was sent publically and seen by everyone, and could treat it as a public message.

When this didn't contain "all", I knew it was a private message.

On 4.0... This "to" part seems to not exist anymore. When I receive a message event, I receive message, origin, type. A received message sent to everyone and a received message sent exclusively look identical and I can't tell them apart.

For privacy and security reasons, I can't just add the "to" back on the sending side, I need it to be validated at the server side like it was.

Could you direct me to what part in the conference files I would need to change to bring this feature back? I would really like to see this feature brought back as I think it is important to know under what circumstances the message was sent.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Qiujiao_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your feedback, we will add this function in 4.1 release since it is useful for you, stay tuned

Stephen_-_
New Contributor I

Thanks Qiujiao I look forward to that!

Since you're in a giving mood, I do have another similar feature request.

I would like to be able to send a "system" message from the samplertcservice.js . Either directly, or to all users.

It would also be nice to be able to say to users "system will restart in 5 minutes" or something, without having to be physically present in the room. It will also help inform people when they have been kicked, banned, or something else. Seems like a useful feature to have and I would have a lot of freedom if users could receive custom messages from the server.

Qiujiao_W_Intel
Employee

Hi, Stephen, we will consider your suggestion but definitely not in coming release for time limit.