Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LHill_Intel

Issue with Windows 10 Autumn Update

Hi all,

In regards to the new issue with the Windows 10 Autumn Update, we are currently working with Microsoft to investigate this problem. It appears that this issue is happening on other computers too, not just the Intel Compute Stick. We have seen this to be caused by a couple of things:

- There is an SD card in the SD card slot (try again without it)

- There is not enough free storage space for the update process to complete. There may or may not be an error message telling you that. You can re-try the update and make sure there is an 8GB+ USB thumb drive connected (via a hub).

Of course, if you have already attempted the update and now the Compute Stick no longer works, the usual steps apply:

- Use F8 to attempt a Windows Recovery back to factory defaults.

- Try a BIOS recovery.

If those steps fail to bring the Compute Stick back to life, please contact https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/emailpage.aspx?lang=en-us Intel Customer Support.

If you can get your Compute Stick back up and running (or if you have not yet received the automatic update), we suggest that you turn off the Windows 10 auto-update feature. See http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/ http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/.

You might want to keep an eye on this forum post at Microsoft: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/progress-installing-the-windows-1... Progress installing the Windows 10 November update stops responding at 44%. The most current information about this issue is likely to appear there.

We will post updates as we find out more.

Regards,

Intel Customer Support
Tags (1)
304 Replies
SGray5
Novice

I re-tried installing with windows 10 build 10240. Worked beautifully but the only problem i had (and realized too late) was that the copy of windows 10 i managed to get was pro and asked for a licence key not willing to cough up $200 for pro, might as well have bought a different PC!

So reinstalled 8.1, upgraded to 10 (build 10565) disabled wifi adapter in safe mode and loaded normally (works fine as previously mentioned). Plugged in a USB hub and USB wifi adapter. Froze

Pretty sure you're right with the USB controller issue. For now i'm sticking to windows 8.1 and will keep looking for a home version of windows 10 build 10240

NickDrBit, the link i have is [EDIT: link removed by admin] but like i said, i didn't realize it was a pro version

NHerr1
Novice

Thank you stephenrgray. The admin removed the link but I will wait until they figure it out and I can upgrade to the latest version of 10. I will stay at 8.1 for now. Cheers.

PBerr
Beginner

Fixed

Logged a support call and asked for an RTM and 4 days later got a replacement stick with Windows 10 on it and installed the Fall update last night and works a dream

NHass5
New Contributor I

Then that means they fixed it,

so what is the corresponding update for those on Win 10.240 unable to upgrade to 10586?

Yoni_E_Intel
Employee

Well,

I tried all of the above...

eventually I managed to get it back to Windows 8.1, but when I purchased it it was with Win10...

this is really a pain...

AWenm
Novice

I picked up a compute stick this week during a clearance sale.

It seems to be a Windows 8.1 version. The UI immediately asked if I wanted to update to Windows 10. I guess it automatically install Windows 10 with the Autumn update.

First try: frozen at updating (83% overall, 35% in configuring devices)

Rollback to windows 8.1 went fine. I installed all updates (bios, bluetooth, display), except the wireless driver. When I run setup, it displays an error message that "an action is not supported" (how do I update this?)

Second try: again freeze at 83%. Rollback to Windows 8.1 is OK again.

I hope Intel will issue an update of the drivers, or whatever is causing this. I also have a toshiba tablet, which is based on the same Intel 3735 platform, but this one updated smoothly to Windows 10 and the autumn update.

BTW: If windows 10 could be installed, would it be OK to remove the recovery partition, as it is useless anyway? (this is 6Gb)

MGerm2
Novice

Be careful to delete the partitions . The Windows recovery may not work even from USB . It would not work anymore either the F8 key .

AWenm
Novice

I have seen with other PC's I have updated to Windows 10, that the Windows 8.1 recovery is rendered useless (not even for recovery to the original windows 8.1). I'm not sure if this is the case with the compute stick.

Does the Windows 10 version still have this partition?

SHirs
Novice

Hello together... One Stick.. many problems...

I bought the Stick with Windows 8.1

- update to Windows 10 worked fine - the stick worked perfect for 4 Months all the time without any crash!

- I read about the problems with the old BIOS and Threshold2 update so I updated the BIOS to 0031 before the Windows update will be downloaded

- The performance was much better after the BIOS update!

- 2 days ago Windows downloaded and installed the Threshold2 update

- several freezes during install, first freeze after the 100% Installation ring, second freeze after "we are ready soon", after hours of waiting I rebooted the stick

- it loads fine until the desktop comes, then freezes

- tried it 3-4 times with the same result

- tried a reset of the stick with complete clean - it stops by 32% and do a reset

- now all what I got so far is this Windows 10 repair console

- downloaded a clean ISO of Windows 10 (probably the latest one with this microsoft mediacreation utility)

- created a Windows 10 usb stick with it.

- diconnected the SD card from the device

- plugged in the USB stick in my powered hub along with my keyboard. it loads the installation from the USB Stick - on Setup I see 4 partitions, I install on the Windows Partition by formating it first (28,7GB), leaving all the other partitions intact.

- the copy of files dialog shows up and 2 seconds later it's completed - then it starts "preparing files for Installation"

- on the first try it stuck by expanding (74%)

- on the second try it stucked by expanding (9%)

- now it stucks by (0%)

- on reboot I see there are files copied on the internal eMMC but not much..(around 300 MB)

- now I am clueless... is my eMMC damaged??

- Where do I get this Windows 8.1 image to try from the beginning? Or the last working Windows 10 build?? Do you guys have ANY clues??

greetings,

Sebastian

RBara5
Beginner

Naviara,

I have seen and done the same as well. The three sticks that I have gone though all came with Windows 10 but the only way that I have been able to recover from where you are was to restore from the Bare Metal Image that I made it before I even boot the last one that Fry's Electronics gave to replace the last two. I have yelled and scream at Intel support when they told me that that there is no ISO or recovery disk to reload it. they said that you need to send it back to them, What BS!

I also updated the BIOS and all of the drivers before trying any updates as well on a brand new sick. As I mentioned in my last post even with it updated to 10565 and running with it in Diagnostic mode (not safe mode) it will work with WiFi connected but freeze when the windows menu is accessed. Since a reinstall with Microsoft Windows 10 iso freeze as well and should not even have a gotten to the point of loading drives during the install before it freezes I don't think this is drive issue as more of a Windows issue.

RAlde4
Beginner

hi spicy,

Are you running the latest version of the bios? I would guess not if the stick was on 8.1 when you bought it.

Update to the latest BIOS (from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25506/BIOS-Update-FCBYT10H-86A- Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]) and then try again.

Robin

AWenm
Novice

Hi Robin,

Latest try was indeed on BIOS "31".

I have installed all latest drivers, except the wifi one. This seems to be refusing to install from the executable (I will try again installing from the system screen).

SGray5
Novice

Hi Spicy,

I previously had windows 10 install crash at 83% (35% config) due to not changing the settings in windows 10 upgrade to Keep personal files rather than Keep Personal files, apps and windows settings. It's because there isn't enough space on the hard drive (i believe) changing this setting allowed me to install windows 10 but crash once login (fine in safe mode). I didn't upgrade BIOS so don't know if the combination of upgrading the BIOS and changing these settings will give you a functional ICS with windows 10.

NHass5
New Contributor I

I find it more rewarding installing Linux on this ICS than this farce with Windows 10.586

As Linux is an open system, at any stage you can know what is going wrong

Windows is a black box and we rely on the big companies to deal with issues.

The only reason I use Windows is the software developed for it.

Google came later to the game and have done a better job than Windows by now.

Why, because Google relies on open source and is based on the Linux platform.

The DEC mini-VAX/VMS poached platform has bad karma because it was stolen.

SHirs
Novice

Finally I got mine back to work... I made a fresh install from a Windows 10 Home 32bit 10240 ISO burned onto DVD .. now all is working again like before the Th2 update.. I disabled all Windows updates and set to manual install .. for now It says there are no new updates there.. I will wait with the Th2 update until a fix is out and it is safe to update ...

greetings,

Sebastian

AWenm
Novice

I have tried an update with wifi disabled and screen & keyboard not attached.. Still a no-go. Luckily, it rolls back to 8.1 just fine after a failed upgrade.

There must be a specific reason why this stick does not want to update. I have a windows tablet based on the same platform (Atom z3735 with the same crappy realtek wifi card, same 32Gb flash constraint,... But the wifi driver is a higer version than the latest from the Intel stick), and this one updated from 8.1 to 10 and to 10 autumn without a hitch.

I feel this is becoming a dead end (and I start to understand these sticks were sold in a clearance). Plan B would be to keep Windows 8.1 (possible, but I really hate that interface with a passion), or to install ubuntu (but even there you run into wifi driver issues... so not promising for updates to later releases).

NHass5
New Contributor I

It is a driver conflict issue, they will fix it as their reputation is on the line, it is pesky so it will take time,

Win 10240 is the best bet, and is reasonably operational, even if there are a few USB glitches every now and then,

but one can use Bluetooth instead, also about time Intel upgrades their Mobile remote for Windows 10 use too.

JLai21
Novice

Received a new replacement Compute Stick today. It already has Win 10 v10240 pre-loaded. . . Skipping any attempt to upgrade to v10586 for now. I upgraded the BIOS from v25 to v31, the Realtek Wifi driver and the Chipset drivers. . . So far it works the way I want it to. . .I only use it to stream my Slingbox content to a HDTV. . works perfect. . . I turned off Windows Update in Services to prevent an automatic update to v10586. . . When I see the update problem fixed, I will do it then. Good Luck!

NHass5
New Contributor I

I am pretty stubborn, so still testing.

I did a diagnostic boot after installing it again, but this time with the latest streamline update, which gives it to 17 10.586.17

and tried to figure out what services might be creating the issue.

In safe mode or diagnostic mode, with minimal resources, it was fine, but no networking.

10.586.17 improves it slightly, in the sense that it stays longer before becoming unresponsive at boot up.

What I noticed is that it crashes on wifi, or external usb ethernet or usb.wifi, so there is 2 common denominators, USB and WiFi.

It can stay on and works so long as only keyboard and mouse are on usb and even usb storage sticks, but hook up a networking wifi, or try use wifi, and it stops responding.

This is where devs should look into.

I wish I had a list of the only necessary services needed to only get networking going to refine this better.

NHerr1
Novice

We new this already. Have you read the thread? We all know it's a driver issue for the chipset that Intel needs to release. Quit your obsession and wait, there is nothing you can do but wait. Amazing!

NHass5
New Contributor I

No progress without obsession, friend