Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1646 Discussions

cannot ssh to devcloud even after removing old ssh fingerprint

NikhilT
Employee

I followed the instructions here: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/Announcement-Changes-to-SSH-Server-on-DevCloud/m-p/1394912/thread-id/5072 

I still cannot ssh to devcloud. I can add details if required. Also asked a colleague. They cannot ssh either. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Frisco
Employee

Good afternoon,

Apologies if this should be an IT ticket, but I am seeing the same issue.

I am a new employee and had access (very briefly) to devcloud that seems to have been stopped concurrent with this change. I already amended my known_hosts file so I am not sure what the situation is now. Using ssh -vvv (on WSL without vpn) gives…

me@me-mobl:~$ ssh -vvv devcloud

OpenSSH_8.2p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5, OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020

debug1: Reading configuration data /home/me/.ssh/config

debug1: /home/me/.ssh/config line 11: Applying options for devcloud

debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config

debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: include /etc/ssh/ssh_config.d/*.conf matched no files

debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 21: Applying options for *

debug1: Executing proxy command: exec ssh -T -i ~/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-xxxxxx.txt guest@ssh.devcloud.intel.com

debug1: identity file /home/me/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-xxxxxx.txt type -1

debug1: identity file /home/me/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-xxxxxx.txt-cert type -1

debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.2p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5

guest@ssh.devcloud.intel.com: Permission denied (publickey).

kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Please let me know how I should proceed and/or if I can provide additional information (path and name edited).

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We understand your concern. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

As DevCloud has migrated to new SSH server, some of devcloud users are still facing this issue. 

Could you please try the below steps to re-connect to devcloud again.

1) Download the new key from this link: https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/documentation/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/

2) Move/Copy this file to ~/.ssh folder & rename it to "devcloud-access-key-xxxxx.txt"

3) Give permissions to the file/folder as below:

chmod 600 ~/.ssh/devcloud-access-key-xxxxx.txt

chmod 600 ~/.ssh/config

(Ignore this step if you're connecting through Mobaxterm. This step is required only for Cygwin.

You can access Jupyter notebook through the below link. Please scroll to the bottom and launch jupyter notebook.

https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/get_started/

If this resolves your issue, please accept this as a solution as it might help others with the similar issue. Thanks in advance. Please let us know if this issue still persists.

Thanks

Frisco
Employee

Good day,

Thank you for that information however, I had already performed the re-acquire identity key process prior to posting (I should have mentioned that in my original post, apologies). Also, I don't think the key itself was the issue as running diff between my original key and the re-acquired key showed no differences. Perhaps a delayed side effect triggered by downloading the key causes it to be properly recognized?

The good news: Sometime between my prior post and this response (less than 24 hours) my key was no longer generating the above permission denied and I can connect without problems.  The verbose connection output changed from

"guest@ssh.devcloud.intel.com: Permission denied (publickey)."

to

"debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3"

indicating that some change (apparently outside my control) has occurred in connecting to the bastion guest account. I hope this information helps narrow down the cause for others.

0 Kudos
NikhilT
Employee

Thanks. I am able to ssh to devcloud now. I did not need any of the steps above. It just started working today!

Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos