Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

2017 Beta Python 3.5 Mac OSX does not find gettext

paul_n_
Beginner

I have gettext installed via macports (a suggested installation method) and it is available though the command line, but the OSX installer says that it can not find it.

- Paul

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Larry_R_1
Beginner

Hi Paul

I installed gettext with brew which is by default keg-only so I had to run "brew link --force gettext" to make symlinks in /usr/local to make the installer find it. Maybe you have to do sth similar with macports.

Larry

0 Kudos
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry about the inconvenience.

The python3.5 executable will look in the default install locations for homebrew and macports for the library libintl.8.dylib, which are /usr/local/lib and /opt/local/lib, respectively.  If your gettext (specifically, libintl.8.dylib) is installed somewhere else, you can add a symlink to one of the default locations.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
paul_n_
Beginner

Chris,

Yes, gettext is installed in the usual macports directory: /opt/local/bin

Also, libintl.8.dylib is in /opt/local/lib , but the installer still does not find it.

Thanks for the help.

- Paul

0 Kudos
paul_n_
Beginner

I did have to symlink gettext into /usr/local/bin to get the installer to work.

- Paul

0 Kudos
Christophe_H_Intel2

Paul,

I'm glad you got it to work.  I will add this information to the known issues. 

Thanks for reporting,

Chris

0 Kudos
kevin_c_2
Beginner

I don't have time to play with software that breaks before it installs.

In order to use Intel® Distribution for Python* 3.5, you must have gettext installed.

I installed it gettext via MacPorts.  Now I'm supposed to add links.  Okay.  Then what?  What will break on step two?

0 Kudos
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hi Kevin,

I understand your frustration, and would like to let you know that we have removed the dependency on gettext, and the next release will no longer require it to be installed.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos