Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

Intel-optimized TensorFlow available in default Anaconda Channel now!

Preethi_V_Intel
Employee

Updated 8/9/2018:  Intel optimized TensorFlow 1.9 wheels and conda packages in Intel channel are made available now! Refer the Install guide for the installation instructions to get the latest Intel Optimized TensorFlow. 

Starting from TensorFlow v1.9, Anaconda will continue to build TensorFlow with MKL-DNN optimizations and distribute in their main channel.to deliver a high performance TensorFlow.

Made currently available for Linux platform, if you are using conda package manager, Just follow the instruction below to get the latest and highly optimized TensorFlow.

conda install tensorflow

or

conda install tensorflow -c anaconda

If you are not using conda package manager, Intel will distribute the latest version(1.9) of optimized-TensorFlow wheels shortly. However, older version wheels are made available. For more details, Click Here

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rajaraman__srinivasa

Hi Preethi,

I installed tensorflow in my Windows 10 through conda install -c anaconda tensorflow.  Now how do I make sure that this tensorflow build is using Intel MKL-DNN primitives.  In other words, is there a command inside tensorflow to check this similar to checking if tensorflow is using GPU.

Best

s0r2637

0 Kudos
Preethi_V_Intel
Employee
Hi Srinivasan, Right now the optimized TF 1.9 is available only for Linux OS
0 Kudos
Kloppenburg__Ernst

In a freshly created anaconda installation, in an environment created with

conda create -n tensorflow_env tensorflow keras

I still get the warning "cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: SSE4.1 SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA"

conda list tensorflow shows

tensorflow:          1.12.0-mkl_py36h69b6ba0_0

which looks promising.

Other people seem to have the same issue, see discussion at https://www.anaconda.com/blog/developer-blog/tensorflow-in-anaconda/

Are there any issues with the packaging?

0 Kudos
Kloppenburg__Ernst

Hello,

I guess the tensorflow packages from the main anaconda channel have some problem.

Today I installed them, using a freshly downloaded anaconda distribution on linux, in a fresh environment.

With these packages I get the warning:

I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: SSE4.1 SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA

'conda list tensorflow' outputs

tensorflow                1.12.0          mkl_py36h69b6ba0_0  

doing 'conda install tensorflow -c intel' kind of upgrades me to this warning message:

I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: AVX2 FMA

here 'conda list tensorflow' shows:

tensorflow                1.11.0                   py36_0    intel

0 Kudos
Preethi_V_Intel
Employee

you can ignore the warning, since MKL-DNN will use the latest instruction sets. Please refer the install guide for additional details

0 Kudos
Bob
Beginner

Please add build for TF 1.14 (or at least 1.13) / python 3.7

0 Kudos
Bob
Beginner

please add Tensorflow 1.14 (or at least 1.13) build for python 3.7

0 Kudos
johnson__ashish
Beginner

You can do the sanity check using the below command as given in the intel developer website:

python -c "import tensorflow; print(tensorflow.pywrap_tensorflow.IsMklEnabled())" Just run this command if the result is true then intel optimized tensorflow is being used.

0 Kudos