Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

OneAPI Intelpython conda setup

zstreet_42
Novice

Hi there,

I see that in the BaseToolKit intelpython there is a conda package manager.  Would anyone advise setting up your environment to use this conda package manager and thus use all the stuff that comes with this intelpython component of the BaseToolKit?  If so, how would you set that up?

Previously, I have just an Anaconda distribution installed and created and Intel environment that looks at the Intel channel for all the accelerated packages, which seemed to be the way to go previously.  It would be nice to just use the conda etc. that comes in the BaseToolKit for intelpython and not have a full distribution of Anaconda elsewhere.

If I am making sense and it is advised, how would this integration proceed?

Thank you,

Zachary

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zstreet_42
Novice

UPDATE:

I'm pointing to the conda provided in the BaseToolKit and my first thing I tried was to update everything (there was many) and I get a permissions error:

RemoveError: This operation will remove conda without replacing it with
another version of conda.
EnvironmentNotWritableError: The current user does not have write permissions to the target environment.
environment location: /opt/intel/oneapi/intelpython/latest
uid: 501
gid: 20

This is strange because I have administrative power.  At any rate, I would like to know the advised way to integrate the conda package shipped with the BaseToolKit of intelpython.

Thank you,

Zachary

zstreet_42
Novice

Update: I forgot to use sudo for the conda update --all.  However, this gives me the following error:

RemoveError: This operation will remove conda without replacing it with
another version of conda.

Looking around the web, it looks like this is a dependency issue and the usual recommendation is to not update packages in the base environment this but to create environments and update packages there. 

At any rate, everything looks like they are in order.  Thank you for the great product!

Cheers,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi

Thank you for the feedback. Did you create a new conda environment. Are you facing any issues after that.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We haven’t heard from you in awhile. Is your query clarified. Did you try creating a new environment. Any issues after that? Let us know your updates.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We haven’t heard back from you. We are no longer monitoring this thread. For further issues and queries please raise a new thread. We’d be glad to help you

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos