Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

Python Distributed did not auto-install with Parallel Studio 2017 (Cluster Edition)

alison_l_
Beginner

Simple question, probably an even simpler answer. Just need confirmation that this is "as intended".

I got through my purchased install of Parallel Studio 2017, Cluster Edition, Linux (CentOS 7.2) without issue until the end. The automatic download for "Intel Distribution for Python" did not, obviously, initiate separately since I running the install to a cluster head node via SSH remote (no X so using command line install). If I go to Intel's download page for the software, I only see the "free download" option.

Question: If I download and install in this manner (with free download) can I assume it will install correctly under my purchased serial activation (and under my alternate install path)? Just thought I'd check before I blindly installed. I don't want any "surprises" here as this looks to be a component that can be richly used in our science HPC environment. Perhaps I should be doing this a different way. I don't want the trial version if this is a component to this activated install and I want it installed correctly.

This was the last output of my command line install:

-----

Thank you for installing and for using Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2017
Cluster Edition for Linux*.

Support services start from the time you install or activate your product. If 
you have not already done so, please create your support account now to take 
full advantage of your product purchase.

Your support account gives you access to free product updates and upgrades as 
well as interactive technical support at Intel(R) Premier Support.

Click here https://software.intel.com/en-us/python-distribution ;
to download Intel(R) Distribution for Python*
This download will initiate separately. You can proceed with the installation
screen instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press "Enter" key to quit:   [[[ which I did]]]

-----------------

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robert_C_Intel
Employee

It's working as intended. The python installer will let you specify an alternate path, it will not get the alternate path from the Parallel Studio installer. There is no license checking or activation for Python. There is only one version/download of python. There isn't a trial version. If you purchased Parallel Studio, then you are entitled to Premier Support for python. If you did not purchase parallel studio, then you are only entitled to forum support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_C_Intel
Employee

It's working as intended. The python installer will let you specify an alternate path, it will not get the alternate path from the Parallel Studio installer. There is no license checking or activation for Python. There is only one version/download of python. There isn't a trial version. If you purchased Parallel Studio, then you are entitled to Premier Support for python. If you did not purchase parallel studio, then you are only entitled to forum support.

0 Kudos
alison_l_
Beginner

Thank you for confirming for me, Robert.  Much appreciated.

Alison

0 Kudos