Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

Python Installation

newsome__rick
Beginner

I just installed Intel Distribution for Python 2017 along with Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran 2017 in a Windows 10 environment.  The Python installation appears to have completed successfully and it shows up in installed programs.  How do I complete the second step in the windows installation process (ref Intel Distribution for Python 2017 release notes )

- 2. When the installation process completes, activate your root python conda environment: To modify only your current command shell, use the following command: <install>\Scripts\activate

How do I activate the root python conda environment? 

Thanks Rick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hi Rick,

You can activate the root environment by running the activate script with no arguments: <install>\Scripts\activate.  This will ensure that your Intel Python installation is first on your PATH. 

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Adam_E_
Beginner

The activate.bat script appears to do nothing for me on Windows 7, so I manually specified the path. How do you recommend we setup versions of Python 2.x and 3.x side-by-side?

UPDATE: I just used an Anaconda environment similar to this (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-distribution-for-python-with-anaconda), though it doesn't really resolve the issue when you have Intel Python 2.7 and 3.5 installed in two places.

Adam

0 Kudos
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hi Adam,

I would recommend keeping separate environments for python 2 and 3.

conda create -n py2 -c intel --override-channels python=2 package1 package2 ...

conda create -n py3 -c intel --override-channels python=3 package1 package2 ...

Then, when you want to switch python versions, just do

source deactivate

source activate py3

Or on Windows, assuming <installation_path>\Scripts is on your path

deactivate

activate py3

I hope that helps.

Chris

0 Kudos
DavidLiu
Employee

Hi Rick,

To activate the root environment in Windows, you'll need to navigate to the install folder for Intel Distribution for Python on your installation disk.  If it is in C:/, then it should look like the following (assuming the Python 2.7 variant):

Run the following: c:\IntelPython27\Scripts>activate

After running activate, you should get this: (root) c:\IntelPython27\Scripts>Python

Notice the (root) designation that should show up after the activate command is run.

If you are using a bash-like prompt on Windows, you'll need to do c:\IntelPython27\Scripts> source activate

From there, you've enabled the Intel Distribution for Python and can run your commands or scripts in the enabled shell.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Todd_T_Intel
Employee

Rick,

Continuum has released updates for conda as well, so I would recommend running "conda update conda" to get the latest release if you are having trouble with environment activation.

Best, Todd

0 Kudos
k__k
Beginner

1 ----->  open windows command prompt

2 ------> go to the location "   w_pythoni3_p_2020.1.893\intelpython3\Scripts "

3.-----> find  windows batch file  named  --  "  activate "

4. .-----> run it in windows command prompt directly 

5. thats it.

0 Kudos