Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

Return key causes Python to hang in SSH session

JackReid
Beginner

Recently, I installed Intel's Distribution for Python on three Linux machines, on all of which the process was completed easily, with the core packages installed from the Intel channel. On any of the three machines, if I enter an interactive Python session over an SSH connection (either with native SSH on Linux or PuTTY on Windows), then Python hangs on pressing the return key, either on its own or at the end of a line following a command. One of the machines I can access directly (logging on at the desktop without remotely connecting via SSH), and, when I do so, this issue does not arise.

What may be causing this? Is this related to how Intel Python responds to a return key mapped through the SSH connection?

Pressing Ctrl+C after it hangs, the backtrace suggests an issue with editline or readline modules:

/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/editline/_editline.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
python3(PyOS_Readline+0x113)[0x557dfad75cad]

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Thank you very much again for the issue report! Our engineering team reproduced, and traced the error successfully, and the issue will be acknowledged and addressed in the next release.

If this answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button to indicate your issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JackReid
Beginner

Further on this post, the issue appears specific to Python 3.10, and I can avoid it by downgrading to Python 3.9.

Equally, the issue may arise in one of the other dependencies changed along with it. For example, pyeditline moves from 2.0.1-py310_2 to 2.0.1-py39_2.

0 Kudos
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We tried replicating the issue on multiple Linux systems and have observed the same with Intel Python 3.10. We tried connecting to the machine via SSH, Putty, Cygwin; and observed the same behavior. As you have mentioned, there are no issues with Python 3.9.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks for reporting the same. For the time being we request you to downgrade/use Python 3.9. We have reported this issue to the development team, and it should be fixed soon.

Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos
JackReid
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I am reassured that others find the same, and therefore I have not made some silly mistake when installing. In retrospect, I ought to have tried downgrading earlier. Initially, I only used Python 3.10 because, as the latest version, it seemed the natural choice. None of my applications suffer from using Python 3.9, and I am happy to continue.

I wish the team the best in looking for the cause of the issue.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

The issue has been escalated to our engineering team, we will give updates as they become available!

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Thank you very much again for the issue report! Our engineering team reproduced, and traced the error successfully, and the issue will be acknowledged and addressed in the next release.

If this answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button to indicate your issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
JackReid
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, and for following up this query. I am happy, although not surprised, to hear that your developers have so quickly resolved the issue, and look forward to the next release.

0 Kudos