Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

Spyder IDE

RPint
Beginner

Has anyone succeeded to install Spyder with Intel Python?

I am not used to conda, but whenever I try:

C:\IntelPython35>Scripts\conda install spyder
Fetching package metadata: ......
Solving package specifications: ....

The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - spyder -> pyqt
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

Then, if I try pyqt, it complains on qt and then, a cryptic message:

C:\IntelPython35>Scripts\conda install qt
Fetching package metadata: ......
Solving package specifications: ....

The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
  - qt -> @vc10
  - qt -> @vc14
  - qt -> @vc9
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

I do have Visual Studio 2015 configured in my system, and I also used the correct system variables...

What should I try next?

Thanks

Rafael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Todd_T_Intel
Employee

Rafael,

Thank you for trying the Intel(R) Distribution for Python.

Unfortunately, it looks like our current distribution is not compatible with Continuum's qt on Windows. The @strings in those cryptic "qt -> @vc10" lines refer to conda "features" that must be installed in order for conda to consider the package compatible. The "vc9", "vc10", and "vc14" features are currently only implemented with the installation of Continuum's python.

Our upcoming Beta update should resolve this problem and allow installation of packages such as qt from Continuum.

Until then, your best option is probably to install pyqt manually and then "pip install spyder".

Be Well,

Todd

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Todd_T_Intel
Employee

Rafael,

Thank you for trying the Intel(R) Distribution for Python.

Unfortunately, it looks like our current distribution is not compatible with Continuum's qt on Windows. The @strings in those cryptic "qt -> @vc10" lines refer to conda "features" that must be installed in order for conda to consider the package compatible. The "vc9", "vc10", and "vc14" features are currently only implemented with the installation of Continuum's python.

Our upcoming Beta update should resolve this problem and allow installation of packages such as qt from Continuum.

Until then, your best option is probably to install pyqt manually and then "pip install spyder".

Be Well,

Todd

0 Kudos
RPint
Beginner

Hi,

It is with pleasure that I inform you that Intel Python Beta is able to install pyqt using Conda! You just need to setup the IntelPython environment in Conda.

Thanks Intel!

Regards,

Rafael Pinto

0 Kudos
karczmarczuk__jerzy

Hello,

After having read some posts here, and having developed a serious allergy to dependency conflicts in Anaconda, I installed the Intel distribution separately, in its own environment, and with all needed packages, including pyqt (conda install loads a different version of qt, 5.9.6, anaconda has 5.9.7, but "intel conda" refuses to update it). The "use('Qt5Agg')" in Matplotlib is accepted, does something, and then, trying to import QtGui, and other entities, it issues:

File "C:\intelpython3\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\backends\qt_compat.py", line 158, in <module> raise ImportError("Failed to import any qt binding") ImportError: Failed to import any qt binding

More concretely, executing manually some commands:

- PyQt5 loads without complaining. And then:

from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets

bombs, with

ImportError: DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est introuvable.

Perhaps I have forgotten to install something, but what?...

Thanks. J.

0 Kudos
sylvian_k_
Beginner

I tried to install spyder with the last 2019 v. 3

and I got this:

menuinst Exception
LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-4.10.0-py27_0

In my opinion Intel makes too much noise with their python. Anaconda is also based on the mkl libraries.

0 Kudos
sylvian_k_
Beginner

The previous post was based on "scripts\conda.exe install spyder" (in python_2.7).

I tried also:

"python -m pip install spider"

and apparently a spyder.exe appeared in the scripts folder (all this in Windows10).

But, trying to execute the above spider.exe I am getting:

"python2.exe - Ordinal not found.     

The ordinal 242 could not be located in the dynamic link library D:\intelpython2\Library\mkl_intel_thread.dll."

Now, I guess this intelpython2 is a 64 bit application, because I am getting the same error from the last Anaconda2 64 bit. Anaconda2 32 bit is working without errors.

0 Kudos
Bulavas__Viktoras

Looks like Spyder is not working after the recent update with Intel. Again.

conda install spyder -c intel --no-update-deps
Collecting package metadata: done
Solving environment: \
The environment is inconsistent, please check the package plan carefully
The following packages are causing the inconsistency:

- intel/win-64::intelpython3_full==0.0.0.custom=0

0 Kudos
Bulavas__Viktoras

Looks like Spyder is not an option with Intel performance libraries:

conda install spyder -c intel --no-update-deps
Collecting package metadata: done
Solving environment: \