Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Alternative of NCS2 for edge intelligence

maffan
Novice

Hello,

I have developed and tested an object segmentation IR model on a CPU. Now, I wish to test it on VPU and assess the degree of performance increase or benefits. If successful I plan to use the model with VPU on a robotic platform having an intel processor

While exploring, I come to know that NCS2 support is ending and doesn't seem a long-term solution for my case. I am interested in knowing what alternative is being offered or suggested by Intel for the given case.

I saw in another forum that MX HDDL M.2 card is the suggested alternate. However, it doesn't seem to have a USB port option, and neither does the simplicity of usage as NCS2. Would it be reasonable to use it with a USB converter if we wish to test it with the laptop?

Also, does it supports Ubuntu 20.04 and OpenVino framework?

Thank you

7 Replies
Wan_Intel

Hi Maffan,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Referring to Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU), typical operating system for using Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU) is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit.

In Table - Minimum system configuration, Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU) does have USB 3.0. In Table - Tools, Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU) is supported by Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit.

Regards,

Wan

maffan
Novice

Thank you for your response.

I understand that the typical operating system is Ubuntu 16.04, however, in my case, I may need to use newer versions of Ubuntu. Therefore, can you confirm if I can use it with Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS or 22.04.2 LTS?

Wan_Intel

Hi Maffan,

Thanks for your information.

For your information, compatible Ubuntu systems for using Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit are shown as follows:

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (64 bit)
  • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (64 bit)

For more information, please refer to Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit System Requirements.

On another note, Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU plugin) is supported in Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit 2022.3.0.

For more information, please refer to Supported Devices in OpenVINO™ Toolkit Documentation (2022.3.0).

Regards,

Wan

0 Kudos
maffan
Novice

Hello,

I have checked with some of the mentioned suppliers of Intel Vision Accelerator (as mentioned on the website, picture attached). For instance, IEI, and they have told me that USB 3.0 interface is not available. This is confusing as the information here is conflicting. Would you be kind enough to point out which one of these has an additional USB interface?

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Wan_Intel

Hi Maffan,

Thanks for your information.

Let me check with the relevant team and we'll update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Wan

0 Kudos
Wan_Intel

Hi Maffan,

Thanks for your patience.

We've received feedback from the relevant team.

We've verified most of the Suppliers and all the product specification list USB 3.0 or newer. The term USB 3.0 or newer is used to describe the ports that support either 5 Gbps data transfer (USB 3.2 Gen 1) or 10 Gbps data transfer (USB 3.2 Gen 2).

For your information, Intel® Vision Accelerator Design with Intel® Movidius™ Vision Processing Unit (VPU) is plugged into PCIe. USB 3.0 is the communication speed for PCIe.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Wan

0 Kudos
Wan_Intel

Hi Maffan,

Thanks for your question.

Please submit a new question if additional information is needed as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Wan

0 Kudos