Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Best ways to debug an OpenVX node implemented by an OpenCL kernel ?

RSun9
New Contributor I

Hi,

I was wondering what the best ways that would be to debug an OpenVX node implemented by an OpenCL kernel. I understand that Intel has an OpenCL SDK, though I have not used it myself. Are some of the debugging features in the OpenCL SDK also available into the CV SDK? If not, what are the recommended ways to debug an OpenCL script? How easy/difficult those ways would be?

Thanks,

Robby

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

you are right- 'image2d_t' will not be supported within CV SDK. What you need to do when developing for CV SDK is follow the guidelines for type conversions in the developer guide. once you do that, you can still debug you code using CL SDK

Thanks,

Stav

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

Generally, when debugging the OpenCL Kernel you wrote we would recommend using the Intel OpenCL SDK, it offers tools to help with debugging and optimizing for Intel architecture. 

once your code works, you can also debug the graph level- meaning following the outputs of each function in the graph and the validity of that output using VAD. 

Regards,

Stav

0 Kudos
RSun9
New Contributor I

Hi Stav,

In general, I agree with your suggestion of debugging in OpenCL SDK, but I do see some potentially serious issues: An OpenCL kernel may run perfectly fine in the CL SDK, yet it can't run in the CV SDK. 

As far as I know, the OpenCL data type 'image2d_t', and all OpenCL operations on an 'image2d_t' object, are not supported in the CV SDK. In fact, I don't know if they are supported by OpenVX at all.

Therefore, any OpenCL kernel that accesses image pixels via an 'image2d_t' object would need to be re-written in order to be used in the CV SDK. If that's the case, it's a big problem.

Am I right on that?

Thanks,

-Robby

0 Kudos
Stav_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robby, 

you are right- 'image2d_t' will not be supported within CV SDK. What you need to do when developing for CV SDK is follow the guidelines for type conversions in the developer guide. once you do that, you can still debug you code using CL SDK

Thanks,

Stav

0 Kudos
RSun9
New Contributor I

Hi Stav, thanks for the confirmation.

-Robby

0 Kudos