Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community support and discussions about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all things computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

CPU consumption with Raspberry Pi

Siméon
Novice

Hello,  
I'm currently using the human_pose_demo algorithm on my RPi 4, with the Intel Neural Stick 2, to detect person. Even with the stick, the program is consuming 80% (85% if I display the video) resources of the CPU. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance,
Siméon.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

It could be video decoding and frame preprocessing. Are you using video file or camera for input?

Siméon
Novice

I'm using camera (from the Pi interface, not USB).

Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

I am using a Pi 4 ( 4GB RAM and running Pi OS) with OpenVINO distribution 2021.1 and Logitech C925e USB camera. My CPU usage is approximate 48%.

Can you try running on a video file and compare to see if the Pi Camera is the cause of high CPU usage.

Regards,

Rizal

Siméon
Novice

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried with a video (and also an USB camera), and I got the same result. 

I got that CPU usage from htop, but if I do Ctrl+C on the video display, a CPU usage graph appears telling me 40 % (about same as you). So from where do you get your percentage?

I tried with a freshly install Raspberry Pi and OpenVino, to see if there was no interference.

Siméon.

Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

I used top to get the CPU usage information.

When you said you get the same result, do you mean 80+% or the 40+% result?

Another check on the usage and it does almost add up to ~80% as I had chromium and some other application open on the Pi.

However, the demo itself should only consume around 40+ % CPU.

Regards,

Rizal

Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

Thank you for your question.  If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as Intel is no longer monitoring this thread.

Regards,

Rizal